five

Her feet moved across the ground gracefully, her long hair flying as she spun around again and again

Alana had been introduced to dance at the ripe age of 3 after seeing seeing a production of The Red Shoes at the Palais Garnier with her mother. She fell in love with it instantly. For months after she had begged her mother to enrol her in a ballet class, and when it finally happened the little girl wouldn't wipe the smile off her face.

After years upon years of dedication and intense training, Alana had finally qualified for a major competition when her mother had fallen ill. Her heart was shattered when she was told she couldn't attend, of course, but her family came before everything.

Alana pirouetted again, moving her arms and leg perfectly, just like the way it had been drilled into her. She kept her back and supporting leg straight and spun again before moving across the ground.

The routine had been drilled into her brain, it was the dance she was supposed to perform before her mother got sick; the same dance she had attended as a child.

It wasn't an easy performance by a long shot, but Alana was talented and more than capable.

"You're quite the little ballerina," his smooth accented voice interrupted, a light blush forming on her cheeks. "I didn't know you were a dancer."

"I'm not." She shrugged. "Not anymore, at least."

"Nonsense. You're talented. It would be a shame to see it go to waste."

"It doesn't matter. I don't dance anymore."

Klaus let out a deep sigh, "Alright. I understand."

He turned on his heel and left the room. His footsteps echoing quietly throughout the compound as he made his way to the study.

"Elijah," his brother spun around, an eyebrow raised. "You want to get in your daughters good graces, do you not?"

"Of course."

"She dances. Quite excellently, actually," Klaus nodded his head subconsciously. "She told me she no longer dances but I can see it in her eyes that she longs to."

"What are you suggesting I do?" Elijah frowned slightly, unsure of what to do with this new information.

"You're a smart man, brother, you'll figure it out," he clapped a shoulder on his brother's back as he left the room.

Elijah made his way towards his daughters bedroom where jazz music played softly. He knocked on the wooden door lightly before entering, clearing his throat to grab her attention.

She quickly turned off the music, looking up at him expectantly.

"There's something I wanted to talk to you about." Panic began clear in her blue eyes. "Nothing bad, I promise. But it was brought to my attention that you dance."

"Oh, I don't – "

"Nonsense," he cute her off. "We'll enrol you into a class immediately."

Alana was silent for a moment, letting out a deep sigh when she realised Elijah wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Okay, fine," she nodded. "But only because I don't like spending all of my time cooped up here."

"If you wish to explore the city I would be happy to accompany you," he offered.

"No, it's fine, really."

Elijah sighed softly, feeling hurt at her rejection of his offer, but nodded and gave her a kind smile nonetheless.