prologue

She covered her mouth with her hand as another wheezing cough left the older woman's lips

She covered her mouth with her hand as another wheezing cough left the older woman's lips. She moved her hand away, seeing blood on her pale skin which she quickly wiped away in fear her young daughter would see it.

"Mom?" The young girl called out, her eyebrows knitting together. "Mom, what's wrong?"

The older woman let out another bark-like cough, "Nothing, sweetheart, I'm fine."

She was by her mother's side in an instant, tightly gripping her hand.

"Don't lie to me."

"Alana," her mother had quickly become serious, "I'm not gonna walk away from this one – "

"No, no don't say that!" Tears glistened in her bright blue eyes. "You're gonna be okay."

"Sweetheart, listen, there's something I have to tell you," she struggled to gain her daughter's attention, but after a moment Alana was paying attention to nothing but her dying mother. "Your father, he will look after you. Find him."

"You told me my dad was dead."

"I knew you'd try looking for him. I didn't wanna lose you," she let out cough after cough, each worse than the last. "His name is Elijah Mikaelson, promise me you'll find him."

"I promise," Alana choked the words out, tears streaming freely down her cheeks. "Please don't leave me."

"Take this, that way you'll always have a piece of me with you." A necklace with a silver star pendant was pushing into her hands. "I love you."

"I love you, too," the young girl sobbed, holding tightly onto her mother as she took her final breath.

Nurses rushed into the room, trying to pry her away from the now deceased body but to no avail.

Alana sat in the hospital room for what felt like years, nothing but the painful ringing of the heart monitor in her ears reminding her of everything she had just lost.