Chapter 20

The girls were getting changed together for the dance and Paulette looked in the mirror, her face falling. She'd felt a million dollars when she was performing, however now, in her new dress, she looked kinda fat. Her face was puffy and she felt bloated.

'This fitted perfectly when I bought it but look at me?' She opened her arms wide demonstrating that the dress that was supposed to accentuate her curves was clinging to every lump and bump.

'You look fine Paulette,' Steph said giving her a cursory once-over whilst she brushed her hair.

'No I don't my boobs look massive.' The dress was low cut and she felt overexposed.

'I thought you wanted to flaunt your assets,' Sharon said a smile playing on her face.

'Not this much, I swear it didn't look like this when I tried it on.'

Sharon glanced over at her again. 'Maybe you have water retention,' she suggested.

'Yeah, I suppose I am a bit bloated.' She looked at her stomach and gave it a prod. Her Summer costume had a fitted corset that had pulled her stomach in, without it she felt a bit flabby.

'Well there's nothing you can do now,' Rhonda pointed out. 'I don't have time to drive you home so you can pick out another outfit.'

'I just hope Johnny doesn't object,' Paulette grumbled. Johnny liked her to look her best but he didn't like other guys leering at her.

'If Johnny objects then you tell him to go where the sun don't shine,' Stephanie said. Paulette signed, she knew Steph wasn't going to forget the hard time Johnny had given her in a hurry.

'Yeah Stephanie's right,' Sharon added. 'It's your body, you can wear what you like.' Paulette nodded, they were right and she hoped Johnny would see it that way.

~~~~

'Wow you look great,' Michael said when he saw Stephanie. She took his hand and they went into the dance hall.

'Let's get away before the fireworks start.' She explained about Paulette's dress.

'I think Johnny's over himself now,' Michael said and Steph gave him a sceptical look, he had a lot to learn. Well, that was if he stuck around, she didn't want to get ahead of herself. They found a table and if Stephanie had wanted to be alone with Michael then she was soon disappointed, Goose spotted them and dragged Rhonda over.

'I still can't believe we won,' Rhonda exclaimed for the hundredth time.

'Yeah, you won,' Goose moaned. 'We might as well have been losers.' He was clearly still annoyed about their prize.

'It's the taking part that counts,' Micheal teased.

Goose grimaced. 'Anyway, where's everyone got to?' He scanned the hall but apart from Davey none of the guys was to be seen.

'Paulette's trying to fix her dress and I think Sharon might be with her,' Steph said. 'I guess Johnny and Louis are with them.' She then had to repeat the tale of Paulette's wardrobe malfunction, and Goose's smirk grew wider.

'I can't wait to see it,' he said and Rhonda slapped him.

'It's not funny, her dress was ok the other day, I think she must have put a few pounds on.'

They looked up and saw the others walking in, Paulette wearing a cardigan over her dress.

'Crisis averted,' Steph said and Goose looked disappointed.

'So what are you gonna do all summer?' he asked Michael and Stephanie as they waited for Johnny to join them.

'Work,' Stephanie said. 'Some of us don't have the luxury of a vacation.'

'I've only got summer off cos I'm going to college,' Rhonda said sounding defensive. 'What will you do Michael?'

'I'll probably go to college as well, and if that's the case then I'll spend most of the summer waiting for Steph's shift to finish.'

Stephanie beamed at him feeling relieved, it sounded like he was staying.

'Won't you get bored?' Goose asked pulling a face.

'I'll manage,' Michael said. 'So what are your plans?'

Goose shrugged looking sheepish. 'I ain't got any.'

They all knew Davey was going to college, Louis's dad had got him working with him, and Johnny seemed to think Stephanie's dad would take him on. Goose however had no plans.

'Goose you'll have to do something,' Rhonda said her brows furrowing.

'Yeah, yeah, once summer's over I'll sort something out. Come on let's dance.' He pulled Rhonda to her feet, and Steph suspected it was more to end the conversation.

'So does this mean you can stay in America?' she asked Michael tentatively, she didn't want to get her hopes up.

'Yeah I can, my aunt and uncle will let me stay with them but I'll have to get a job to help them out. It's a big ask of them.'

'I'm so pleased for you,' she said breaking into a smile.

'For me?' She realised he wasn't wholly convinced.

'I mean for us, I want us to work Michael.' She leaned over to kiss him. Deep down she'd known if he'd gone back to England they'd be over. No way could she have handled a long distance relationship, it would have been impossible.

~~~~

'I've had enough of dancing,' Sharon said pulling herself out of Louis's arms. She walked off the dance floor and he followed her feeling guilty. She was in such a funny mood he regretted saying anything earlier, he suspected he'd pretty much ruined her night. He knew she was highly strung, he should have kept his mouth shut for the time being.

'I thought you'd be really happy you won the talent contest,' he said trying to cheer her up as they went to get more drinks.

'Yeah I am, but that was before you dropped your bombshell.'

Bombshell? Now he was confused. 'I just said I wanted to talk.'

She walked away to a corner of the room.

'Look if you want to dump me then just spit it out,' she said folding her arms across her chest. Her voice was angry but he could see her eyes were welling up.

'What! No, of course, I don't. Why would you even say that?' However this was why he was reluctant to talk to her, he knew she'd overreact.

'Well you've been acting all weird, and you're all distant lately,' she said glancing down at the floor. 'I feel like you don't even like me anymore.'

He looked at her feeling bewildered. 'But that's so not true, you're the one who's distant! I love you but you won't let me anywhere near you.' He could see people were watching them, and he pulled her into the hallway.

'You don't love me,' she said, her voice brittle. 'You're just saying that.'

'No I'm not.' He tried not to raise his voice but she was absolutely maddening.

'Then how come you've never said it, except when you've been trying to get me into bed!' Her eyes flashed with anger.

'That's not true...' His words died on his lips as he realised it possibly was. He knew he'd treated her appallingly. 'Ok I'm sorry, you might be right but I do mean it, I guess I haven't said it enough or at the right time.'

She looked at him uncertainly. 'I feel like we keep going around in circles,' she murmured.

He sighed, he wanted to make her happy but it seemed like he was making her miserable. Maybe she'd be better off without him? 'Do you want to split up then?'

She looked up at him, tears spilling out of her eyes. 'No I don't but...it's all such a mess.' She began to cry and he wrapped his arms around her, ignoring the curious glances they were getting.

'I don't want to split up Sharon, I want us to work this out,' he said holding onto her tightly. However, he really wasn't sure if they could, so far they'd resolved nothing.

~~~~

Thank you for reading, please consider voting.