Chapter 18

Michael and Stephanie sat down in a booth at the back of Frosty's Palace so they wouldn't be disturbed.

'So what's the problem? Spill it,' Steph said her nerves making her aggressive. She'd been on edge ever since he'd said there was something he wanted to discuss.

'Well there isn't one, just yet,' Michael said playing with his straw and she gave him an impatient look. 'The thing is, I'm an exchange student, that's why I'm over here. Once we graduate my parents will be expecting me to go back home, and I don't know if I'd be allowed to stay anyway.'

She frowned slightly taking a moment to grasp what he was saying. 'You mean your aunt and uncle won't let you stay?'

'They might, we haven't properly discussed it. I was thinking more that the authorities wouldn't let me stay. Possibly I could extend my visa if I went to college here, but at this stage, it's all hypothetical.'

Stephanie's stomach sank. 'So why don't you go to college and get another visa?'

Michael's eyebrows knotted together. 'I don't know that I want to. I've been here nearly a year now, it's a big decision not to go back home.'

She felt like he'd thrown a bucket of cold water over her. 'Hold on, you went to all that trouble to make me fall for you and all along you were planning to go back to England?' She was both upset and furious all at once.

'I don't know Stephanie,' he said giving her an apologetic shrug. 'I need to think it through properly, look into all my options. Obviously, I don't want to leave you, but I don't know that I want to go to college here either. There's a lot for me to consider.'

She grabbed a packet of gum out of her purse. 'Right well maybe we should talk about this when you do know what you want.'

'This isn't a reflection on how I feel about you,' he said reaching for her hand.

She met his eyes as she popped a fresh piece of gum into her mouth remembering how much Johnny used to hate her chewing. 'Well, you probably shouldn't factor me into your decision making. I'll probably be sick of you by the time summer's over anyway.' She blew a bubble and Michael forced out a laugh, she guessed the conversation hadn't gone quite as he'd planned.

~~~~

Michael's news had knocked the wind out of Stephanie's sails and she found herself turning back to her friends. She'd reluctantly agreed to go shopping for prom dresses with them but now she was glad of the chance to discuss Michael's bombshell.

'But Steph surely you'd thought about this,' Rhonda said and Stephanie felt a bit dumb.

'I guess I thought he'd emigrated, I dunno, I didn't think.' Until Michael had helped her with her essays she'd never given him a passing thought.

'It'll work out, Michael's head over heels about you, he'll do whatever it takes to be with you,' Paulette assured her. Steph pulled a face, obviously, that was what Paulette was banking on.

'It might not be that straightforward,' Sharon said as she held a dress up against herself before quickly discarding it.

Paulette scowled at her. 'Stop putting a downer on things Sharon!'

'She's right,' Stephanie said glum-faced. 'Michael might not be allowed to stay.'

'Oh don't you worry your head about it,' Paulette said with a big smile. 'It'll work out, now come on we're meant to be finding prom dresses.'

Stephanie idly looked through the sales rack but nothing caught her eye, she wasn't in the mood to get excited over dresses. 'I might not even go to the prom, I'd happily give all these end of year activities a miss.'