Chapter 8

Paulette tightened her robe around her waist, getting ready for the big reveal. The pink ladies were having their first dress rehearsal after school and she could not wait to show off her costume. She'd put a lot of thought into how best to represent the summer season and she was eagerly anticipating the reaction of a certain someone.

"Hey guys," she called out beckoning the pink ladies over. "Are you ready to see my costume?"

Sharon looked at her nervously. "Why do I think I'm not going to like this?"

Paulette giggled. "Don't be silly I followed your advice, sweet but sexy right?"

"With the emphasis on sweet."

Paulette looked around her, making sure the T birds were also paying attention. She took a deep breath and let her robe fall from her shoulders to reveal a skimpy bikini and very little else.

"Paulette..." Sharon said for once struggling to express herself.

"You are not going out there like that!" Johnny snapped going red in the face. Everyone turned to look, and Paulette twirled around letting them all get a good eyeful.

"But Johnny I'm summer," she said giving him an innocent smile. "And what's more summery than sunbathing on the beach?"

"You are not on the beach!" He raised his voice, his jaw clenched, and she was secretly pleased that he was losing his cool. "Paulette that outfit is too much, or should I say it's too little. It's indecent."

"You don't think I look nice?" she asked in a little girl voice, pushing her bottom lip out.

"You look, you look, like a-"

"I'm sure we can work on it," Sharon said raising her voice and butting in.

"Stay out of it," Johnny growled giving her a hard look.

Sharon rolled her eyes but kept her attention on Paulette. "I appreciate you making the effort. I can see you've put a lot of thought into this, but I don't think Mrs McGee will let you perform in a bikini. In fact, I'm sure she won't but don't worry I have some ideas."

"In the meantime cover-up," Johnny said seeing Goose gawping at her with his mouth open.

"Jeez, you're such an exhibitionist, I can't believe you are my sister," Dolores snarled throwing her robe at her. "I'm embarrassed for you."

Paulette was surprised to see Dolores's cheeks were almost as pink as her bikini. "Look I'm summer, how else am I supposed to dress?"

"I'm sure we can work on it," Sharon said placatory. "Summer is also the wedding season, maybe something bridal will do the trick."

Paulette brightened up. "Bridal? Like June moon?"

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking."

"Oh, I can definitely work with that," she said shooting Johnny a look as she put her robe back on.

"You get yourself a big ass wedding dress," Johnny said in an attempt at humour as he took to the stage with the rest of the T birds. Paulette gave him an indulgent smile before she went and sat down with Sharon and Rhonda who were hanging back to watch the T birds rehearsal. She applauded as Johnny took centre stage, but she had to admit they were bad when they started singing. Terrible even.

"Oh my god, I can't believe the lyrics in this," Sharon said her tone disapproving. "I've heard the chorus, the whole walk, talk like a T bird bit a few times, but this?"

"It's pretty shocking," Rhonda said with a small frown. "For a high school production anyway."

"Do you think so?" Paulette asked wiggling her eyebrows. "No one expected the T birds to sing Mr Sandman."