Chapter 16

Johnny was in his element at Thunder Road. He'd parked up with the t birds and was strutting about giving anyone who was watching the impression that he was in complete control.

Rhonda was driving Paulette and Sharon. 'Steph said she'd make her own way here,' Rhonda said as she came to a screeching stop.

'God one day you'll kill us,' Sharon complained.

'Yeah, and can you imagine dying a virgin?' Paulette asked dramatically. Sharon and Rhonda exchanged disbelieving looks.

'So who do you think Steph'll be supporting?' Sharon whispered as they got out of the car.

'Well Michael silly,' Rhonda said.

'But that's so disloyal to the t birds,' Paulette said pouting.

'Well after this she won't have to worry about that,' Sharon sniffed. Either Michael would be in the t birds, or Stephanie would be out the pink ladies. Johnny had made himself perfectly plain.

~~~~

'Looks like Shakespeare's wimping out,' Goose said to Johnny as the girls made their way over.

'I said noon,' Johnny said inhaling on his cigarette and trying to act laid back. There was a crowd gathering, and he was beginning to feel unexpectedly anxious.

'I think he's coming,' Paulette said excitedly, spotting a bike in the distance. 'Now you will be careful Johnny.'

He smiled tightly 'Sure, Paulette.'

'Maybe one of the other guys should take your place?'

'No way,' Sharon snapped glaring at them. However now Paulette had suggested it both Goose and Louis offered to step in. Johnny considered for a moment. If they lost he wouldn't lose so much face, but no, a deal was a deal.

'That wasn't the agreement,' he said to Paulette. 'How about you have some faith in me.' He watched Michael park up on the other side of the road, and a car pulled up behind him.

'Oh my god,' Sharon exclaimed jumping up and Louis frowned at her. 'That's Danny Zuko!'

'What?' Johnny dropped his cigarette and followed her gaze. He couldn't believe it, there was Danny getting out the car, Frenchy, Stephanie, and a blonde woman with him.

'But how does Shakespeare know Zuko,' he mused feeling his confidence ebb. During his first two years of high school he'd looked up to Danny, he'd been his hero, he'd almost idolised him.

'Look Steph's with them,' Rhonda said, and she waved to her. Stephanie looked and turned her back.

'Should we go over?' Paulette asked tentatively. They all exchanged awkward looks.

'Well I'm staying here,' Sharon said moving into Louis's arms. 'It's Stephanie's decision to isolate herself.'

Rhonda nodded slipping her arm around Goose.

'If you want to go Paulette be my guest,' Johnny snarled at her. 'But don't come back.' His nerves were making him tetchy.

Michael made his way over. 'Johnny.'

Johnny turned around slowly. 'You showed up.'

'What did you expect,' Michael said raising his eyebrows.

'Well you English, you're all talk and...' He broke off, he didn't know what he was saying and he could see Danny Zuko watching the exchange closely.

'I think you're mistaking us English for yourself,' Michael said, and Johnny did not miss the angry undercurrent in his voice.

'Hey I underestimated you, no big deal. But if you want to back out...' He was magnanimous, he'd allow him to change his mind.