EPILOGUE

Crime had overrun the streets of New York to the point where people noticed. News stations were reporting about how the rates had increased, and the papers all had the same headline: WHERE IS SPIDER-MAN?

It had been four weeks since the death of Aspen Blue, and Peter had still not even looked at his suit.

The reports about crime had become such big deal that even people that never bothered to watch the news noticed--people like Tony Stark.

So, the man somehow convinced himself to find Peter Parker and talk some sense into him.

And that's how he ended up following behind the boy in his car on a Friday afternoon.

Tony honked his horn multiple times, and Peter knew exactly who was behind him, which is why he ignored the man and continued walking.

Tony sighed and pressed more on the gas, rolling down his passenger window and pulling up right next to the boy.

"Get in the car, kid." He commanded and Peter stopped walking, his face void of all emotion.

"Where have you been, Mr. Stark? I've tried contacting you, and I've talked to Happy, but-" His voice was cut off by his own tears. He took a second to collect himself before continuing. "You are the only other person who knows what happened and you left me to deal with it by myself."

"Yeah, and that's why I'm here. You've done a pretty crappy job dealing with it."

And with that, Peter let out a sigh and got in the passenger seat.

Tony was parked outside of Peter's apartment complex and the two were sitting in silence. Neither of them really knew what to say.

"Why'd you stop?" Tony finally asked, and Peter immediately knew he was talking about Spiderman.

The boy shook his head softly, not making eye contact with his mentor.

"There just doesn't seem to be a purpose anymore."

Tony knew that there was more to his words. He knew that Peter wasn't just talking about Aspen, he was also talking about the Avengers.

"Look, kid. You are good hero. You fought along side me in Germany and did the same in Nashville. These people, they need you. They need someone that they can look up to, someone that can give them hope." The man paused, turning to face Peter with an unrecognizable look in his eyes.

"I heard what she said to you. Have hope. I think that right now, she's looking down on you and she's disappointed. Aspen wouldn't want you to give up, you know that. Come back. Start small, look out for the little guy and make your way up to new challenges. Aspen wouldn't want you to be sad, Peter. If anything do it for her."

Peter sat there silently for a while, thinking about the man's words.

Tony was right. Aspen wouldn't want him to sit around doing nothing, she would want him to continue fighting--if anything she would want him to fight harder. Not only was she letting her down the moment, but he was letting Uncle Ben down as well.

The boy couldn't help but imagine both up them in heaven, watching over Peter and laughing when he did something stupid. He knew that they would get along really well and that put a smile on his face.

"Thanks, Mr. Stark." Peter mumbled, looking over at his mentor with a light in his eyes that hadn't been there since she passed.

The man simply smiled back with a nod before putting a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Protect the little guy, Parker. And i'll be in touch- er, someone will be in touch."

Peter's mouth went agape and his eyes widened. "Does that mean I'm-"

"No. Not yet at least." Tony replied, fighting a small smile.

The man wanted Peter to succeed. He wanted the boy to bounce back from this tragedy and become the hero that he knew he could be. He wanted Peter to become an Avenger, just as Aspen did.

Tony leaned over and Peter awkwardly patted the man's back.

"Not a hug, just opening the door." Tony said and Peter let go with a nod.

The boy carefully climbed out of the expensive car and closed the door, but Tony called his name though the still-open window.

"Uh, here. This belongs to you."

Peter's face broke out into the brightest smile; he forgot what it felt like to feel such a powerful positive emotion, and it felt really good.

He grabbed the item from Tony and nodded, and at that, the man rolled up his window and drove away quickly.

Peter Parker looked down at the small, green succulent in the chipped pot and gripped it tightly, the warm smile never leaving his face.

"Come on, Barry. Let me show you your new home."