Twenty-Two

"Uh... How about..." Marilyn scratches her chin, thinking. She's lying upside-down on the couch, her hair spread out on the floor.

"Well, what are we about?" Allyson asks, spinning around on her drum stool. "What's our meaning, our purpose?"

"To make pretty noises." Kim says simply. She runs her fingers through her brown hair, obviously frustrated.

"Not just that..." Allyson sighs.

"We're colorful." Amber muses, twisting a piece of hair around her finger.

"We've got style." Marilyn flips her hair, and claws at the air.

"We're gorgeous." Kim strikes a pose, a pops out her hip.

"This is serious!" Allyson hisses, but you can see she's trying hard not to laugh.

"We all love the Beatles." Amber says.

"We're all girls." Marilyn flips herself over and slides off the couch.

"What've we got so far? Color, Beatles, girls." Kim says, sitting down on the couch where Marilyn was.

"Let's just think it over for a few hours; it might help if we do something else too." Amber slowly walks to her record playing, and starts sliding her hand to it.

"Aye, that's a good idea." Allyson watches her hand. "What're you goin' to play?"

Amber turns it on, and the music starts playing quietly.

Marilyn rolls her eyes. "The Beatles. I have to admit, they're kind of growing on me."

"They're cute." Allyson says, just wanting to see Amber's reaction. "Especially George."

Amber's eyes go wide, wide enough for Allyson to actually see the colors. They're eerily familiar, a kaleidoscope of green, blue, and golden amber. They give away her emotions easily. 

It happens in a split second, so fast it's scary. Recognition hits Allyson. That voice, that guitar, her eyes, her hair.

"Amber Reed." She grins, all the memories coming back.

"Ye-" Amber starts, but then understands. Instead of seeing Allyson, the new drummer, and stranger, she sees Allyson. Her old friend. "Allyson."

"Tell me." Allyson steps forward. "How did this happen?"

"What? How did what happen?" Kim's eyebrows push together, confused.

Amber looks at Allyson, trying to figure out what to say.

“Sit down. This might take a while.” She sighs.

-----------

Rebecca lies on her bed, enjoying the temporary silence that surrounds her.

As a young girl, she had never expected to be where she is today. Her mother had planted dreams of being a writer, or a teacher, into her mind. Told her that she should avoid men until she knows where she is in the world.

She was right.

Sitting up, Rebecca begins to pull off her top, then her skirt. She stands and walks to the full-body mirror that is propped up against one of the walls in her room.

Becca traces her finger around her stomach, searching for the bump that isn’t there yet. She knows she should tell him. He should know that he has a child.

All along, something had been off about Will. It wasn’t love at all.

Rebecca and Will met when she was twenty-one. He seemed to be trying to impress his friends at the pub they were in. Becca was just trying to wash away all her feelings, making her an easy target for men.

He’d bought her a drink, making her even more tipsy than she was before. It was an odd brown color, but Becca didn’t care. At the end of the night, Will walked her home and they ended up a couple, two months later.

Maybe I’m not ready for this. She turns sideways, trying to get a view of her stomach from a different angle. But she has to be ready. There’s no going back now.

Sighing, she pulls on her fluffy pink robe, and sits back on her bed. Grabbing a pen and paper, Rebecca begins writing.

Dear Will,

I know this is going to shock you, and it’s understandable if you want nothing to do with me. But there’s something you need to know.

I’m pregnant. We’re pregnant, you could say.

You don’t have to show up and help out or anything, but you really need to know. I’m still staying at my sister Amber’s house. I’m sure she’s forgiven you by now. Only I can’t say George won’t go after you, they’re practically engaged.

Love, 

Sincerely, Rebecca

Soon the letter is folded up in an envelope, and ready to be sent by the post office. Becca wishes she could snap her fingers and Will would get it immediately, but that’s impossible.

Rebecca hears loud laughter from downstairs. Obviously the girls are enjoying themselves.

What if Becca wants Allyson to be the permanent drummer? By the time she’s a ‘good enough drummer’, she’ll most likely have a baby bump, and be sick all the time. And after her baby is born, someone needs to be there to take care of it.

And Rebecca knows what it’s like to spend part of your childhood with only one parent.

She sighs again, and a small tear slips down her cheek. Why does this have to be so hard?

Taking a deep breath, she stands and walks into the bathroom. Becca strips down and steps into the shower, making the water hot. As the steam covers her body, she finally lets the tears fall.