Nineteen

"Remember, Becca's upstairs sleeping." Amber whispers.

George slams the refrigerator shut, making the containers inside rattle. He tightly closes his eyes, hoping he didn't wake Amber's sister.

"Amber?" Rebecca calls. She walks down the stairs, rubbing her sleepy eyes. She runs into George's chest in the kitchen. "Paul?"

George smiles and pats her head. "No, it's George, Becky."

"Only Ringo calls me Becky." She punches his shoulder lightly. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm going to spend the night." He says casually. Amber walks up behind him, and takes his hand.

"Alright. Just don't make a lot of noise, okay?" Rebecca slowly makes her way back up the stairs.

"Becca, wait." Amber calls. Her sister turns around. "Can I tell him?" She whispers.

Rebecca sighs. "As long as he swears not to tell anyone else." Without another word, she makes the rest of the way up the stairs.

"Tell me what?" George asks, his eyebrows pulling together.

"You're cute when you're confused." Amber giggles. "And I'll tell you once we're in my room."

George hands her one of the bananas her got out of the fridge. She opens a jar of peanut butter, and makes a sandwich.

"Make me one too?" George asks.

"Yeah." Amber sighs, taking out two more slices of bread.

"Are these two sleeping with us?" George looks down at the puppy and kitten on the floor, taking a bite out of his sandwich.

"Yeah. I'd dislike to leave them down here." Amber picks up a folded piece of paper next to their bed, and reads it out loud. "Dear Amber, they're both boys. Cat is named George, and the dog is Ringo. I don't care if you disagree. Much love, Becca."

George smiles and lifts up the puppy. "Hello, George Junior."

Amber finished off her sandwich, then takes the kitten in one hand, and uses the other to hold George's hand again. "I'm tired. Let's go."

"So what is it you need to tell me?" George asks, closes the door behind him in Amber's room. They place George Jr. and Ringo on a blanket on the floor.

"Well," she lays down on her bed, and he does the same, wrapping his arm around her waist. "You know Will."

George glares at the ceiling, and tightens his arm around her. "Yeah, I know 'im. That filthy bast-"

"Hey!" She slaps his shoulder. "Listen to me!"

He smiles weakly. "Sorry. Go on."

"Alright, so..." She moves closer to him. "Do you want me to just go right out and say it?"

"Yes."

"Becca's pregnant." She closes her eyes, waiting for his reaction.

He sighs. "I guessed as much."

"Wait-you're not surprised? Or mad? Or-"

He laughs. "I'm happy for her, really. And I'm not surprised. Maybe a little bit, but they were very close." He smiles at her. "But not nearly as close as us, I'm sure of it."

"That's sweet." Amber places her head on his chest. "But I'm not going to get pregnant any time soon." She mutters sleepily.

"I didn't mean that." He chuckles. "Now go to sleep."

"You're warm." She wraps her arms around him tightly, snuggling closer.

"Go to sleep, love." George smiles. He waits until her breathing becomes even, and knows she's asleep. He sighs, stroking her short purple hair. He loos around her dark room. Their reflection is in the mirror. "We're cute." George mutters.