Fifteen

"Ready, Becca?" Marilyn straightens her dress in the mirror. It's a very bright yellow, Amber picked it out.

The boys had left shortly before, leaving Mari, Kim, Amber, and Rebecca to themselves.

"I think so." She puts both hands over her abdomen. "Anyone in there?"

"We'll find out soon enough." Kimberly sighs nervously. Then she touches her head, remembering something. "I never gave John his cap back!"

"It's alright. I'm sure he'll forgive you." Amber laughs. "Now we've got to to leave."

"Shoot. We should have asked the boys for a ride to the hospital!" Rebecca groans. "Now we have to walk."

"Or we could ride bikes." Mari suggests.

"Uh, I don't think that would be very good for Becca." Kimberly points out. "If she is pregnant."

"Fine, then. We better get walking." Marilyn grumbles, crossing her arms over her chest.

It's about a twenty minute walk to the hospital. But by the time they arrive, Rebecca is shaking.

"Becca. You're going to be fine." Amber rubs her back.

"How can you know?" She takes a deep breath in, then out, trying to calm herself.

"Because I'm your little sister. I know." 

"Rebecca Ramone? Is that you?" The lady at the front desk asks. "You're ten minutes late." She writes something with her pen on a note pad. "But never mind that, go into room six."

Rebecca nods and takes small steps down the hall. The lady holds up her hand. "Your friends can't go with you, sorry." 

Becca takes one last look at Kim, Amber and Marilyn, and walks into Room six.

"She must be scared out of her wits." Amber sits in a plastic waiting chair. "If I were in her situation-"

"Which won't be for a long time." Kim interrupts, smiling.

Amber glares at her, trying to to smile herself. "If I were in her situation, I would want someone there with me."

"That's why I don't date." Marilyn says, a smug look on her face.

"Yeah, that's why." Amber and Kim both say at the same time. Kim holds out her hand, and Amber slaps it.

"Don't be rude." Mari pretends to be offended.

"Hey, how long should she be in there?" Amber asks the lady at the desk, smiling sweetly.

"Hmm... Depends. Shouldn't be more than an hour."

"Alright." She grins and sits next to Kimberly. "Want to braid my hair?"

"Yeah, sure." Kim takes up some of her purple locks and divides the piece into three. 

"Oooh, I'll do yours!" Marilyn takes a seat next to Kim and starts braiding her hair. They do this for about half an hour, before Rebecca walks into the waiting room with a smile plastered to her face.

"Becca? Are you?" Amber stands up quickly, a hopeful look on her face.

"Yes!" Rebecca throws her arms around her sister. Kimberly stares at them, open mouthed.

"I-I don't know what to say." She stutters, tears in her eyes. "Congratulations, Becca!"

Mari stands and joins the group hug, muttering: "Auntie Marilyn. I like it, I like it."

"You all better get home before it rains." The lady at the desk smiles. She looks at Rebecca. "Do you want a boy or girl?"

Rebecca wipes tears from her eyes and sighs happily. "Doesn't matter to me. I'll love them anyway."

"We better get home to the pets." Amber looks at the clock. "We forgot to put the food into bowls for them."

"Oh, that's right! Maybe I can practice my parenting skills on them." Becca grins.

"Yeah, of course." Kim tries not to laugh. She knows Becca's just thinking of her child.

The walk doesn't seem as long this time, because they are talking the entire time. About Rebecca, about the baby... about everything.

"I'm going to sleep, alright?" Becca looks completely exhausted by the time they reach Amber's house.

"And me and Kim should probably be going back to our own houses." Marilyn picks up her coat. 

"Okay then. See you later." Amber hugs Mari and Kim, and they leave.

"You really should get to bed." She says, looking at Rebecca.

"Yeah." Her sister yawns, taking some left over peanut butter cookies from the kitchen counter. 

"Where's the pet food?"

"By-" Becca yawns again. "The front door."

"Alright." Amber finds the bag from the store and takes out the puppy food and kitten food. She pours them into two separate bowls, and sets it next to the little fluffy animals.

"Here you go, guys. Enjoy." She scratches the puppy behind the ears, and the tiny cat on the head. "Your starting to purr." She smiles.