Fourteen

"So, what do you want to do today?" Kimberly asks, breaking the silence that covered the room.

"I know what I want to do." George grins. "Amber, come with me." He takes her arms and pulls her towards the stairs.

"Do I have a choice?" She giggles.

"Nope." He pats the top of her head, obviously excited for some reason.

"Be good, you two!" Paul says loudly. 

"We will!" Amber laughs. Kimberly watches as George drags her best friend up the stairs. She smiles. Amber has finally found someone who likes her, weirdness and all.

"If they're up there for more than an hour, I'm checking on them." Paul mumbles, a serious-yet-joking look in his eyes.

"Aw, is Paulie getting overprotective?" John playfully punches his shoulder.

"He's my little brother, of course I am."

"I'm sure they'll be fine. They're big kids." Kimberly smiles.

"And they haven't even kissed yet." Marilyn adds.

Rebecca looks up at Paul. "I have a doctor's appointment in an hour. Paul, could you remind Amber for me?"

"Of course." He smiles, and briskly goes up the stairs, taking them two at a time.

"What a cute puppy." Ringo says loudly. Him and Rebecca are on the floor, petting the small dog's stomach. It's on it's back, enjoying the attention to no end. The kitten just stares at them, actually looking a tad jealous.

"Don't spoil the thing, Rings." John chuckles.

"It's so hard not to." He sighs.

"You can't possibly say no to that fluffy face." Rebecca agrees. Ringo smiles at her and she blushes. 

"I can." Marilyn crunches on a pickle she got from the refrigerator.

Kimberly rolls her eyes. "Not even you, Mari."

Ringo looks up at her. "What have you been feeding them?"

Kimberly taps the side of her head. "That's what I forgot! They've been eating scraps, we need real food."

"Want to walk with me to the store?" John asks her, hopefulness in his voice. "It's only 'bout a mile long walk."

"Uh, sure. Let me get some money." 

"No, it's on me. They're as much ours as yours now." He chuckles.

"Thanks." Kim smiles, knowing she didn't bring any money and would have to borrow from Amber or Rebecca.

"That's alright, love." He smiles, handing her her jacket. She pulls it on, and he puts on his, along with a cap.

"It's cold out." Kimberly shivers once she steps out the door.

"Yeah, it is. My feet are freezing." John almost trips walking down Amber's front steps.

"Don't fall, John. I couldn't catch you." Kimberly laughs nervously.

"I won't." He smiles wide, showing his teeth. Then he coughs. "Mosquito."

"That's why you don't open your mouth like that outside." Kimberly laughs even harder. The wind then picks up and blows his hat back. She catches it and places it on her own head. "How do I look?"

"Stunning." He smiles. She starts to take it off, but he stops her. "Keep it on for now. It really does look quite good on you."

Kimberly doesn't object.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So what did you bring me up here for?" Amber asks as George follows her into her room.

"I've never seen your room." He says, and sits on her bed, looking around.

"It's not much." She sits down next to him.

"It's actually quite how I imagined it." He nods.

"How much time did you spend imagining my room?" Amber smiles, nudging his shoulder.

"More than you'd think." He chuckles. "Now, there's something I've been meaning to ask you." He takes his hand in his and plays with her fingers.

"What's that?"

"When you said that we were a couple, when Rebecca asked you during dinner..." He looks into her eyes. "Do you... Want to be one?"

"Of course, George. I'm all yours." Amber blushes.

He smiles. "Good. And I'm all yours." Then he leans in. And this time, Amber doesn't stop him. She leans in and puts her lips on his. She pulls away a moment later and puts her forehead against his.

"I can't believe I didn't want that earlier." She mutters. He chuckles. He leans in once more, and they kiss again. This time longer.

"Aye!" A voice yells from the door. Paul jumps between them, smiling. "Don't get too carried away there."

"Paul!" George grumbles, pushing him off the side of the bed.

"Get out of my room." Amber orders, blushing.

"Can't do that." Paul grins cheekily. "By the way, Kim and Johnny went to get food for the fluffy little things downstairs."

Amber gasps. "And she didn't tell me? I tell her everything about George..." George raises his eyebrows at her, but she just gives him a toothy smile.

"And, Rebecca sent me to remind you about her appointment in an hour."

Amber looks at the clock. "Shoot. I didn't realize it was so close."

"What's the appointment for, anyway?" George puts his hand on her knee.

"Nothing you need to concern yourselves with." She assures them. 

"Alright, I'm going to leave you two alone now..." Paul eyes George's hand and quietly exits the room, closing the door behind him.

"Finally." George smiles. And he starts to lean in again, but Amber holds up her hand in a stopping motion.

"Not so fast, Harrison. You're going to have to wait a while."

"Just one more?" He pleads.

"Nope." Amber grins, and walks out of the room and down the stairs.