Just Listen ~ Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

'You know, I would love that,' I responded with a grin as Olivia continued with her rambling, but instead of just speaking, she was signing. I would always be forever grateful to that person who created sign language, it was a language with your hands and sometimes it made things more beautiful then just by speaking them.

****

'Finally we can go in!' Olivia exclaimed with her hands excitedly as the girls were started to flow into the arena, I'm sure there was much yelling going on as Olivia put her hands up to block out some of the sound. One of the perks being deaf, I wouldn't have to hear all the high pitch screams of fan girls. I followed Olivia as she gave her ticket to one of the Ushers as we walked into the arena and they led us down to one of the lower levels of Madison Square Garden, we were so close I could probably read the lips of the boys who would be singing. 'I'm so excited!!!' Olivia screamed and signed towards me as I rolled my eyes at her.

'Just don't faint on me. I'm not entirely sure what I would do.' I replied as Olivia just pushed me lightly while people started filling in front of us and behind us, I'm sure there was much chattering going on around us, but all I could do was stare up at the stage where the drums, guitar and mics were placed. I remember when I was younger whenever I played the violin for a recital, I would aways get butterflies in my stomach and get excited by the feeling. Now, I wish I could go back to those days, even if it was only for a minute. I looked up to see an announcer come up to the stage, as all the girls around me started to jump up and down and what I assumed were screaming.

'He's announcing the band that's opening up for One Direction.' I felt Olivia tap my shoulder as she signed towards me, I nodded my head as a couple of people came out from the other side of the stage, girls started to go just as crazy. They must have been a pretty famous group, but Olivia didn't seem interested, but she did start to dance as they sung. 'Dance!' Olivia signed to me as she tried to pull me along with her, I shook my head as I smiled at her dancing.

'To what?' I asked, there was no music running through my ears like there was to all the other jumping girls. All there was, was the vibration of the bass, the girls jumping around and the high pitch sound the guitar or bass would make sometimes. It was not music, and I could not even imagine what it would sound like. Maybe rock, maybe pop, maybe metal, maybe techno, anything, I wouldn't be able to guess it. It was useless for me being here, but I didn't want to let Olivia down.

'You can just dance to your own beat!' Olivia signed as I sighed, I didn't want to bring her down when she was having so much fun, so I started to jump just as crazily as her. Even though I couldn't hear anything but the blood rushing through my ears, I jumped and head banged and did all the moves I saw the other girls doing. I would make myself have fun, for Olivia at least.

The band was on one of their last songs when Olivia gave up and decided to go get something for us to drink. Leaving me here, alone, in the "silent" arena with thousands of girls that had no idea I was deaf and couldn't hear the vocalist' soft voice singing to all the girls. Or the guitarist picking at his string so delicately you weren't even sure he was even playing, or even the drummer lightly tapping on his drums. I sighed as I stood there and watched the girls sway along with the music that was absent from me. And then they all started to stop jumping as I noticed everyone clapping, I assumed the singer was done, I looked up and watched as the singer said something to the crowd, but his mic was covering his lips so I couldn't read what he was saying. Then they were walking off the stage as the announcer came on giving the group a clap, I clapped along with the crowd.