chapter three. ♔

©danceyourbleepoff 2012
edited by lovelyswagger21

"Love is a game that two can play and both win." - Eva Gabor

Chapter Three
____________________________________________________________________

                Ten…nine…eight. Holy shit, this is the longest ten seconds ever. Five…four…three.

                I grabbed my bags, popping right out of my seat when the bell rang; I wasn’t just in a rush to leave school, I was in a rush to get away from him. As it turned out, Ryder wasn’t just in my gym class, he was in every block after that, too. Which would be three, in case you didn’t know. I had to endure half of my classes with him, and he was not a pleasant person.

                “So, Emma,” speak of the devil. “I really want you to hook me up with a girl.”

                I stopped in the hallway that I had been speed-walking through, trying to avoid him. “Which is the exact reason I’m not doing it. You want a girl to hook up with, not a long-lasting relationship.”

                 He was looking at me like I was speaking in a foreign language. Seriously? He was so dim-witted it really gets on my nerves. Not to mention just being in his presence gives me the chills and makes me want to scurry away- in other words, they aren’t good chills. He was kind of like an itching mosquito bite that’s on your back, just out of your reach. You need to scratch it so badly, yet you just can’t get it and it drives you crazy.

                “This is exactly what I’m talking about, Ryder. Just give up, all you want is a wam-bam-thank-you-ma’am kind of relationship. I’m sure there are enough sluts in the school to provide that for you,” I told him with an eye roll and a sigh. I wasn’t in the mood for this.

                Thankfully, Ryder got the memo from my tone that I was done with the conversation, and he was just making me mad. All I wanted to do was get the hell out of school. To go home and change into my jogging clothes so that I could just let my mind wander and relieve my stress.

                As I was making my way into the parking lot, I saw Claire and Dan beside her locker, but I avoided them. Thankfully they didn’t see me. Normally, I go talk to them before I leave, but honestly, Ryder had just bugged me all class, trying to get me to set him up with a girl. In reality, he could just go pick out a slut that was barely wearing any clothes; he didn’t need my help at all.

                My heels clanked against the concrete as I walked in the parking lot, mixing in with the chatter of groups of people talking. The smell of the air already had me calming down as I took deep breaths of its crisp freshness.

                I pulled my keys out of my purse as I neared my white 2010 Camaro. It was my birthday present from last year, and I was so happy to have it. It hadn’t been all of my parents doing, though. After four years of at least about 500 customers, lifeguarding every summer at the beach for four years, and using the accumulation of the money I had saved from my parents,  I had saved up a good bit. I had convinced my parents to pay for the majority, if I  paid for what I could and gas. It hadn’t been new, and when I got it, it had been beat up and ragged. Luckily, Dan likes to work with cars and he fixed it up for me for free.

                When I opened the door and slid into the driver’s seat, a chill ran up my spine. The cool hard leather felt good against my skin. It felt comfortable and familiar. The smell of citrus from my car freshener filled my nose, making me take in a deep breath of it. I closed my eyes, wrapping my hands around the steering wheel and hearing the leather sticking under my skin. This was nice. I loved the feel of my car.