chapter seven. ♔

©danceyourbleepoff 2012
edited by lovelyswagger21

"Wouldn’t it be the perfect crime if I stole your heart and you stole mine" - Anonymous

Chapter Seven
____________________________________________________________________

                After lunch, I skipped my way to the gym. I hated being un-athletic. It really made gym a pain in the ass. Nevertheless, I changed into my gym clothes- the same ones as always- and walked back out into class. The boys were clustered in their group as always while the girls were clustered in theirs. I, on the other hand, just sat by myself, in the front row. Until Ryder had to come sit beside me and ruin my solitude. He sure did like to ruin a lot of things for me.

                “Hey, hot stuff,” he whispered into my ear.

                I kept my eyes forward as I responded, “No matter how hard you try, you’re not going to get anywhere with me.”

                “Aw come on, Emma. Just a little fooling around?” When I turned to look at him, he was giving me his puppy dog face.

                “Isn’t that what Tiffany’s for?” I asked him, eyebrows raised.

                He waved his hand nonchalantly. “She wasn’t that good.”

                I just stared at him, mouth gaping open. I didn’t want to know whether or not she was good. I didn’t ask that, and I was utterly appalled by him telling me. It was absolutely sickening, especially since he acted like it was no big deal. This was why he wasn’t getting anywhere with me; Ryder was a pig. That’s all he ever would be.

                “We’re going to be playing basketball today, class,” Mr. Tomlinson spoke.

                Great.

                Mr. Tomlinson rolled out the cart that held all of the school’s basketballs while the whole class got up from the bleachers. The boys went ahead and picked who was going to be captains. The two that were chosen were Jake and Ryder.

                “You can pick first, Ryder,” Jake told him as he scrutinized the people he had to choose from.

                “Jeff,” Ryder said, signaling to some guy that I didn’t know to walk over to his side.

                I was watching Jeff walk over to Ryder’s side when I was taken aback by Jake’s voice. “Emma.”

                I whipped my head to look at him, turning my head slightly to the side as I gave him a confused look. Why the hell would Jake pick me first? I started walking towards him, slowly and unsurely. He just smiled at my confusion and I faintly registered Ryder’s voice picking someone else. By the time I reached Jake, there were already other people standing with him.

                “Um,” I whispered, standing right beside Jake. “Why did you pick me first?”

                He just smiled like always; that was Jake for you. “Because I figured that basketball is already hell for you, so you wouldn’t want to be on that jackass’s team.”

                I laughed, knowing he was right. “I thought you guys were friends.”

                “Oh we are,” Jake confirmed, nodding his head. “I just know you hate his guts.”