chapter six. ♔

©danceyourbleepoff 2012
edited by lovelyswagger21

True love is a durable fire,
In the mind ever burning.
-Sir Walter Raleigh 

Chapter Six

____________________________________________________________________

                For the rest of the weekend, I had pouted. I wasn't really mad at Claire, just really shocked. She did have a boyfriend. Were they about to break up? No, they couldn't. They loved each other.

                When Monday came, though, I was completely over it. I hadn't confronted Claire about it, and I didn't plan on it. She hadn't said anything to me, so it must not have been important. If it had been, she would have told me. Right? I convinced myself that she would, but for some reason I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like she wasn't telling me something. Something important.

                I walked into school, though, with my head held high as if I wasn't bothered by the feeling. As if I didn't have a care in the world. It was quieter than usual as I walked since today I was in dark peach colored wedges. They didn't click and clack on the linoleum floor with each step that I took on it.

                When I got to my locker, there was a note taped to the front. It wasn't pink, so it wasn't a form for me to match someone. I wasn't sure what it could be. I ripped it off, opening it up so that I could read it. It was a letter. That's weird.

                Dear Cupid,

                Won't you consider being the one that you match one of your customers up with?

                -Anonymous

                I looked at the note confused. What in the world? Who would send this to me? What does this even mean? Tell one of the guys that asks me to match them with a girl that they should date me? How awkward would that be? Not to mention the fact that all of the good guys at our school were pretty much taken. Well, there was Jake. But he was just a flirt. A big flirt.

                "D'you like my letter?" I heard someone whisper from behind me.

                I turned around to see Ryder standing there was a sly smile and a mischievous glint in his eyes. Of course Ryder was the one that put the note on my locker.

                "Ryder?" I asked, my voice soft and my eyes wide.

                I watched him gulp as his eyes flickered to my lips before returning to my eyes. "Yeah?" his voice was hoarse.

                "Why must you insist on annoying me?" I practically yelled at him, all innocence gone from my face and replaced with a scowl.

                He looked relieved as he smiled down at me. He started laughing, "For times like this, Sweetheart."

                His hand lifted to my chin, but I swatted it away. He knew exactly how to push my buttons. I did my best to glare at him, but apparently it didn't work very well.

                "That's not an attractive face," he told me.

                I rolled my eyes. "And neither is yours but you seem to think it is. Obviously your judgment is off."