chapter nine. ♔

©danceyourbleepoff 2012
edited by lovelyswagger21

 Life is the flower for which love is the honey. -Victor Hugo

Chapter Nine
____________________________________________________________________

                "So you're telling me that she called you dumb?" Jake asked.

                He and I were sitting in the bleachers during gym. We had purposefully gotten out in dodge ball so that we could sit and talk.

                "Pretty much," I replied to his question, turning my attention back to the game in front of me.

                There were people getting out left and right, lining up on the sidelines so they could go back in. Dodge ball was really stupid in my opinion, and the only reason Coach Tomlinson made us play was so he didn't have to do anything.

                "I'm sorry your day has been so bad," Jake told me as he laid a comforting hand on my shoulder.

                "It's okay," I told him, knowing it wasn't his fault and trying to completely forget about the fiery feeling racing through my veins.

                "Hey, I have an idea. Meet me in here after you change," Jake said just as the bell rang.

                I nodded, slightly surprised before I skipped down the bleachers. They rattled with each hop under my sneakers. I walked into the changing room with the rest of the girls, feeling giddy about what Jake had planned. I thought it was sweet of him to want to cheer me up, and I was all for it. I hated being upset, it just wasn't my personality.

                About ten minutes later, I was walking out of the locker room with my regular clothes on and my bags slung over my shoulder. I stepped into the gym, seeing Jake standing by the door immediately.

                "What are we going to do?" I asked, not really knowing what there was to do in school that would cheer me up.

                Jake just smiled mischievously, grabbing my hand and leading me out of the gym. As I quickened my pace to keep up with him, I tried to forget about the fiery sensation licking its way up my arm, starting at my fingertips where they were touching Jake's hand. We were practically running through the school, making sharp turns and almost falling. Multiple times. I'm surprised that I didn't fall in my pumps, and it's good to know that I can run in them.

                We were almost out of the school when we heard voices. They were muffled, but Jake stopped immediately, pulling me back with him. Standing at the corner of the hallway, we both tried to recognize the voice. It was getting closer, along with the clacking of heels. The person was almost to us when we both registered who the woman was- our principal. Knowing that if we got caught we would be in deep shit, I froze. I had never been in that kind of trouble. Was I ready for it?

                It didn't matter if I was ready for it, because at the last second, Jake pulled me into a janitor's closet. It was really cramped and both of our breathing was heavy. I was staring at Jake with wide eyes, but not because we could get caught in there. That would have been even worse! I was staring at Jake with wide eyes because of how close we were- bodies pressed up against each other, his arms clinging onto my waist as mine hands had fistfuls of his shirt.