Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Megan's first day of the term was oddly uneasy. She hadn't slept well the night before and throughout the whole day she felt like she was missing something. She had checked her backpack three times before leaving just to make sure she had everything she needed for her class.

She had two hours between classes when she was able to grab some lunch. She got a sandwich to-go and went to go meet up with some of her friends in the student lounge. When she got there she spotted that her friends arranged themselves in a circle in the corner of the lounge. As she made her way there she spotted someone familiar out of the corner of her eye.

She turned to find Jessica perched on a high chair by the coffee shop, clearly waiting for someone to join her. Two seconds later a tall figure in a white jacket approached the table and set down two cups of coffee on the table. He shrugged off his jacket, draping it across the back of the chair, and sat down opposite to Jessica.

Megan felt nauseous. Luca was having coffee with Jessica. She didn't even stop to think what that meant before making her way over to her friends.

She thought her day was already going badly, but the sight of Luca with his ex, just made her day so much worse. All this because of a stupid kiss! If that kiss never happened they would still be talking. If that kiss never happened, she wouldn't be feeling like her soul was sucked out because he pushed her away.

Of course he pushed her away. She thought bitterly. She was not up to par with the rest of the girls he's dated. She was nothing compared to them, and he found that out a little too late. She was drowning in miserly as she recalled how shamelessly she had thrown herself at him. What had she expected? Any guy with Luca's experience would have pushed her off. By stopping their kiss he told her plainly that she wasn't good enough for him, and the sad part was that she was very aware of the fact.

She spent lunch replying to all the right things even thought her mind was focused elsewhere. When it was time to part for class, she was actually grateful. She didn't want company, and she knew she wasn't being very fun to be around.

Zach called her to ask if she was able to go for an early dinner as he was starving. She reluctantly agreed. She didn't mind that they were meeting earlier; it was just that she didn't want to see him at all.

Zach talked all the way through dinner. Asking her questions about her classes, and who her professor's were. She gave him one to two words answers and went back to eating her meal.

He sat quietly for a minute staring at his sister. He felt his chest pang at the sight of her dull face. He didn't know what happened between her and Luca but it had to have been something big.

His best friend had spent all day on campus and hadn't returned any of his phone calls or texts.

The more he thought about it the more he came to the conclusion that Megan must have finally admitted her feelings towards his buddy.

He knew that his little sister was desperately in love in Luca, and had been for years. He never said anything because he didn't approve of her feelings towards him. Luca was his best friend, yes. However, he was also a major player. Zach knew how it had hurt Megan every time Luca had a new girl. He would watch as she quietly made herself fade into the background whenever Luca brought along a girl to dinner or movies with them.

Anger spewed inside of him as a new thought entered his mind. If Megan is so broken after admitting her feelings to Luca then that means Luca turned her away. Suddenly, Zach found himself gripping the table tightly as he forced his anger away.