13. Calls

Zara Costanza

Besides Gina, Tom was the only person that knew about my secret. No one else knew about the Disney offer or how I felt about fame. How I felt about fame made me feel almost ashamed of myself because I couldn't even describe my feelings in proper words. 

In all honesty, the Disney role has made me reconsider everything. Is acting really the career for me? If it is, I'll have to accept that people will look to me as a role model and that my audience will only continue to grow. 

Now that Tom knew how I felt about all of this, it was nice to be able to openly talk about it to him. Together, we actually went through everything in that folder that Gina had given me.

We sat in my apartment which was located 30 minutes away from Marvel's filming studio. We sat at the counter, going through the papers and scanning through them.

"Bloody hell, Costanza! You're going to have to sing in the movie! I hope you have a good voice because millions of people are going to hear it if you accept the role... but I mean, it's a small price to pay for everything else that you're going to receive."

I made a loud grunt, "Holland, I don't sing. That just adds to another reason why I shouldn't take the role!"

"Zara, I seriously think that you should take this role. You'd be a complete lunatic if you didn't take it. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity; when else are you going to be offered something as life-changing as this?"

I took a deep breath and exhaled, "But I don't need something life-changing. I have everything I want."

My phone began to ring. "Give me a second," I told Tom.

"Hello?" I answered, unsure of who I was speaking to.

"Hi, this is Jenna from Disney. We haven't heard back from you about the offer. We were wondering if you're still considering it."

I bit my bottom lip and gave Tom a wary look. I stared at Tom and mouthed that it was Disney.

"Ye-Yes, I have been considering it. I actually have a couple of questions before I make a final decision. I was hoping you could tell me the name of the movie," Tom gave me a nod, signaling that I was doing well.

"Let me double-check-" I could hear murmuring in the background, "can I tell her?" I heard Jenna ask.

There was movement on the other line before she answered. "Sorry about that. Yes, I can tell you the movie, but you can't tell anyone since Disney is still working on a few things for the movie and nothing has been released. Disney typically gets you to sign a confidentiality agreement, but due to the current circumstances (the fact that we're on the phone), we request that you don't tell anyone because this movie is supposed to be kept from the media for a while... especially since a lot of the stuff is in the works."

"Yeah, of course," I agreed, despite Tom being right beside me, eagerly listening to our conversation. 

"The movie is Anastasia," said Jenna.

I felt a little more guilty because I had no clue what movie it was. I mouthed to Tom, is that Cinderella or something?

He gave me a look of rage. You've never heard of Anastasia? Are you mad? He mouthed back.

I gave him a light smack on the head, and he mouthed ouch.

"Okay, thank you. Are there any other cast members assigned, yet?" I asked.

"We have a few people in mind, but nothing is official," said the other woman. "In fact, we were wondering whether or not you had perhaps made a decision?"

I bit my bottom lip, "Not exactly. I actually wanted to ask about the singing... I'm not entirely a musician and I'm not confident in my singing abilities."

"Your manager, Gina mentioned that. We have many singing coaches that can help you sing to the best of your ability. We understand that you are an actress rather than a musician, and that's definitely a factor that we can workaround. Do you have any other questions?"

"No," I answered, unsure of any other questions to ask.

"Great. Not to put you under too much pressure, but please call us by the end of the next week with your decision. You have my number if you need it. It was a pleasure, Zara. Thanks for your time."

"Thank you, Jenna. I'll contact you soon, have a nice day."

The other woman said bye and hung up. I stared at Tom, hoping he would have something to say.

"Holy shit," he said in an exasperated tone.

I gave him a perplexed look, "That's all you have to say?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"This is legit. Y-You could actually have this role. Zara, seriously. You've got to do it."

"I-I, but Tom. I-I don't know if I want this-"

"Screw it. It doesn't matter. Everyone is on your side, Zara. It's you who's holding all of it back. We all know that you're going to make a great Disney princess. So why won't you just accept it? You've got the talent and support. They want you. Not anyone else. You."

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. Why was this so complicated? Earlier this week, my decision was a solid no. "I-I guess," I mumbled. I looked at Tom. "Oh crap. I guess," I said louder. "I can't believe I'm admitting this," I said, beginning to smile. "I think I'm going to accept the role."

After that call with Jenna, everything just seemed to make sense... Tom was right. Ultimately, I want to act. In a way, something as big as this has always been my dream. An opportunity like this would give rise to so many more like it, allowing me to act. Yes, fame is scary and daunting, but it's something that I think you learn how to deal with. And at the end of the day, being able to act will outweigh the cost of fame. 

People who have large roles like this Disney one are respected and praised because of their acting skills. By taking a step back and looking at things from this perspective, accepting the Disney role just made sense.

Tom smiled and hugged me, "Zar, this is amazing for you! I can't believe you're going to be a Disney fucking princess. Holy shit."

"I-I know! Thank you, Tom. Seriously, I don't know if anyone else would have been able to convince me. Thank you," I said, and kissed his cheek. I feel so excited now. 

His cheeks turned a light shade of pink, "Y-Yeah! I'm extremely happy for you."