Chapter 1- Summer Changes Everyone

There was nothing more free than sitting in a car with the window open and the sun seeping through your hair. Headphones in as the sun shines on you. My name was Natalia. My age 17. I was travelling with my mum to the airport like I did every summer. I was on my way to my fathers. My father lived in Australia with his soon to be wife. Him and my mum split up when I was 14. He was dating the women he was soon to marry this summer, of course I was asked to he bridesmaid for her. Her name was Emma, we got on, I mean she isn't the step-mother of hell, she's alright. My mum had a boyfriend she'd met about a year ago. Me and him argued a lot, he was the step- dad from hell.

Once we arrived at the airport mum said her goodbyes and got teary eyed like she usually does. She told me to be safe and stay away from boys. To Skype her every now and then and to let her know when I got on the plane and landed.

The airport wasn't very busy. It never was busy at 4am in LAX. Once I had checked in and gone through security, I walked into the departures longue where I bought some food and waited for my flight gate to open. At 5am the gates opened and I walked onto the plane and sat in my designated seat. I was sat next to an elderly lady called Margaret. I always liked to ask the person I'm sat next to their name a.) To be nice b.) I was going to be sat next to them for god knows how long and c.) If I died then I wouldn't have died surrounded by strangers. Not long after greeting my flight buddy the plane set out for Australia.