Chapter Nine: The Unexpected

It’s been a week since Llewellyn and I, well you know the rest. My mom is still not answering my calls, not even giving me a chance to apologize. As for my grandparents, they pity me. I call them everyday to ask how she’s doing, and to talk to Tyrus. I missed him, with all my heart. I’ve never been away from Tyrus so long, and neglecting him before my mom took him away, made it feel even longer.

     All week I’ve been shoving my face with food, I don’t know why. But I was always so hungry, I guess not eating for a few days can really knock you off you’re body’s path.

     I just finished hording the last of the pancakes I made for breakfast in my mouth. I threw the plate in the sink, grabbed my schoolbag, and ran off to class. I could barely breathe when I stumbled into my biology class and sat down. And there sat Crystal, eyes wide. I glanced at her before grabbing my binder out of my bag, and placing it on the table in front of me.

     “Hey Lorelei…” She said awkwardly. That wasn’t like her at all. She was usually so peppy and full of energy. But when she spoke to me, she looked like she was scared. Not scared of me though, it was something else. I couldn’t put my finger on it.

     What I didn’t know before, that she was Llewellyn’s best gal friend. He told her everything apparently, so maybe that’s why she was giving me the odd “glare” every few minutes. Would he tell her something THAT personal? I started to feel uncomfortable at the thought of her knowing.

     “Hey Crystal,” I said, almost rudely. She snapped her stare away from my hard eyes, and didn’t look back the entire class. Once the bell rang, she swiftly got up and sped walked out the door. I chuckled to myself, I must have really put her in her place.

     It made me feel bad afterwards, knowing that she was one of Llewellyn’s besties. I shrugged it off and walked off to my next period. On my way there, I stopped by Llewellyn’s locker just to say hello.

     “Hey babe,” he grinned, giving me a quick kiss. I blushed, and put my hand on his stomach, and looked up at him.

     “I missed you.” I nearly whispered.

     “I just saw you last night love,” he winked.

     “I know,” I said flirtatiously.

     He just chuckled at me, “I have to get to class a little early today, so Ill see you later.”

     “Okay!” I said, standing up on my tiptoes to receive a warm passionate kiss.

     I trotted off to class, and took my seat. Crystal was sitting on the opposite side of the room, giving me another wide eyes glare. I rolled my eyes. What a great day to have to consecutive classes with her.

     We were half way through the boring English lecture when my head started to buzz. I squeezed my eyes, and pitched my nose to try to subside it. But it didn’t help. I started to feel nauseated. I got up, hunched over and holding my stomach. I swiftly shuffled my feet over to my Professors desk. I felt so sick that I couldn’t even get any words out, and seeing that she pointed towards the door to let me know I was excused.

     I rushed into the nearest bathroom and swung open the stall door and locked it. I bent over the toilet in a fetal position and let my breakfast come back up. The acid burned my through and my mouth as another wind of vomit entered my mouth. I gasped, trying to catch my breath. I started to shake, and unwillingly got up and dragged myself to the sink, shoving handfuls of tap water in my mouth to take away the foul taste.

     I trudged along back to class, grabbed my stuff and explained to my teacher I wasn’t feeling well. She let me go home, and I could see the disgust on her face while I was talking to her. She obviously smelt the vomit. And I could still taste it. I scrunched my nose at the taste, and walked home. Slowly, but surely, I got there vomit-free.

     I groaned as I slouched into the soft couch and tilted my head back, and I closed my eyes. Before I knew it, I was fast asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     I woke up a few hours later with the foul taste lingering in my mouth. I ran up to brush my teeth, four times. I felt so gross, I hoped into the shower to wash away the sickness. The hot water caressed my body with its warmth, and it made me feel relaxed. After washing my hair and body, I turned off the taps and wrapped a towel around me. I sat on the floor when I fooled around with my phone, going through pictures, and calendars.

     My eyes shot up from the phone screen, realizing that the date is November 17. My thoughts rushed back weeks at a time, remembering when I had my last period. I scrambled through my calendar dates to find that my last cycle ended on October the 201st. I should have gotten my period five days ago, I’m never this late. My mind rushed back to that very night when I slept with Llewellyn. But I couldn’t remember anything but my happiness, I couldn’t even remember if we were safe.

     My head started to pound, and my breathing started to increase. This was just too much, I couldn’t be … Periods are late sometimes. It doesn’t mean anything, right? I started to freak out, I couldn’t handle even the thought.

     But all the eating, sleeping and now the puking? It all started to make sense. How could this be happening to me? Me, out of all people. I frantically fumbled around embracing the fact that a human being could be growing inside me at this very moment. Tears started to well up in my eyes and I pulled on my hair. This CAN'T be happening, not to me.

     I threw on some clothes and grabbed my car keys. I headed straight to the drug store. I put my hood over my wet hair, and to cover up some of my face. I went to the prescription area and scanned the isles. When I came to the conceiving isle, I grabbed three pregnancy tests and walked up to the cashier. He gave me a smile, but when he went to scan the items he shot me a worried look. I gave him the money and mumbled a “Thanks,” before I rushed out of the store feeling his eyes on my back.

     I sped home, faster than I should have. I ran upstairs and ripped open the boxes. I read the instructions over and over, so fast I wasn’t even aware of what I was reading. I was nervous, scared, and everything in between. I grabbed all three tests and prayed to god that everything would turn out normal.

     I paced around the house, day after day waiting impatiently for the results. I didn’t even bother going to school, I couldn’t face Llewellyn. What would I say? “Oh Hey! I think I’m pregnant with your baby!”

     I shook that thought away from my head and ran up to the bathroom to check the test, for the tenth time today. I slowly walked into the bathroom, keeping my distance from the tests. I could see the results. I wanted to rush over and look, but my body couldn’t move. I just stared at it, helplessly. I slowly moved my feet in front of one another until I reached them.

     I looked down at the dial like thing, and stared for a few moments. I couldn’t even see it. I was thinking too hard. I was so nervous, my hands were sweating, and I was having hot flashes. I came back to realization when I heard the faint clack of the test hitting the floor.

     I bent down the retrieve it, and slowly stood up. What did two lines mean? I looked back at the box to see.

Oh shit.