Chapter Four : Getting To Know You

I unlocked the door with Tyrus snuggled into my arms. I dropped the keys in the bowl on the side table, and dropped my bag by the stairs. I held Tyrus tight, humming a familiar song that always comforted us. I set him on the couch and headed off towards the kitchen.

            “Tyrus honey?” I asked, “would you like some apples for snack?” I peered around the corner to see him nodding his head in response. I opened the bottom drawer to grab a cutting board and a knife, and quickly started chopping.

             “So how was daycare love?” I asked him this quite frequently, I wanted to be the big sister he could always tell everything to. I loved him, I really did. And I always felt more like a mother to him than a sister, with our parents fighting all the time. I guess I’ve never really wondered if I’d ever be a good mother. I kind of just assumed.

             “S’kay” he slurred. I put his small apple chunks into a bowl and handed them to him after he managed to climb up on one of the kitchen stools. I watched him from the other side of the counter as he munched on his snack. He was so innocent, so baby like. With his pink cheeks, small nose and big bright eyes. I quickly grabbed an apple from his bowl and grinned.

              “HEY!” He hissed. “You’ll never catch me alive!” I cheered as I slowly jogged down the hall watching him run after me. I jogged around the house until I decided to let him catch up. He squeezed my leg tight with his little hands and I laughed while he sneered, “I GOT YOU!”

              He opened his mouth and I plopped the apple right onto his tongue, and he started chewing away. I lead him towards the TV, just to turn on his show. He sat there staring at the screen, amused. While he was occupied I did some chores around the house, and tried to actually do my homework for once.  My music started playing as I turned on my radio, and I simply got trapped in it and lost track of time.

                                                         •§•

             It was about 7 ish when I finally snapped back into reality. I rushed over to Tyrus only to find him passed out, cheek pressed against the brown leather sofa. I quietly made my way over and gently scooped him up into my arms. I carried him up the stairs into his room, and laid him in his bed.

            I took a quick rinse and laid in my bed staring up at the ceiling. I couldn’t think about anything else than that boy. How his curls bounced around as he moved, how his lips curled up into that perfect smile…

           I didn’t even know his name. But he grasped my interest. I thought about how sweet he was to apologize for me bumping into him, and how he helped me pick up my books. Not a lot of guys show chivalry anymore. I wanted to know him. My heart longed for his attention, even though I’ve only known him for a few seconds. I promised myself I would find him tomorrow, just to ask for his name.

          I thought of him until my eyes could no longer stay open, and I drifted off into a mindless sleep.

                                                       •§•

             School today was long and boring as ever, even lunch dragged by. I was walking to fourth period until I stopped. I turned my head to see a familiar curly haired, blue-eyed boy who was recently on my mind. He was talking to one of his friends, he was laughing. It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. I felt the corner of my lips lift up into a small smile as he started walking towards me.

              “Hey,” he said cheerfully, “I never got to introduce myself yesterday, I’m Llewellyn.” Llewellyn, I repeated to myself. What a beautiful name. I smiled, “I’m Lorelei.”