Chapter Two : Love and Pain Don't Mix

My mother hasn’t left her room since yesterday, and my dad has been sleeping on the couch. Since no one else has taken responsibly, I’m left to take Tyrus absolutely everywhere. It was Sunday today, I hate Sundays. It’s the last day of the weekend. You hope, and try to make the day as long as it can be, but since you’re trying so hard it slips by in a blink of an eye.

          I got up and got ready to go out. I was wearing black leather wedge boots, skinny jeans, and my favorite shirt; those tank tops that have seems like bra cups. I finished my make up and walked over to see if Tyrus was up yet. I slowly creaked his door open, just enough to peek through. I fully opened it once I realized his bed was empty.

           “Tyrus?” I said as I left and started making my way downstairs. He was sitting on the floor in front of the couch, watching our father sleep. I was afraid he realized that our dad might not be staying with us anymore. I shook the thought out of my head, he’s only three, I said to myself.

             “Tyrus,” I whispered, “c’mon, lets get you ready to go to the park.”

             “The park??” his eyes widened and he got up so fast that he almost tumbled over. I chuckled, “let’s go.” I grabbed him and took him upstairs. Once we reached his room, I set him down. He ran into his room and sat down in front of his dresser. I opened the top drawer and grabbed his socks and underwear, and then I grabbed him his long sleeve white shirt and his blue sweater vest. He already picked out his own pants. I gave him his clothes and left the room to let him change.

             A few minutes past and Tyrus came out of his room with his vest on backwards. I grinned as I helped him put it back on properly. He grabbed my hand and started toward the bathroom. I picked him up and set him down on the counter. I grabbed his toothbrush and helped him brush his teeth. Once he was down off the counter, he grabbed my hand and started bolting towards the stairs.

           “Slow down!!” I said as I helped him down the last few steps. I tied his sneakers and opened the front door. He shot out like an uncontrollable remote control car. He was jumping up and down waiting for me to unlock the car. The park was too far to walk, so we had to drive. We both got into the car, and I pulled out of the driveway.

           I put the car in park as I reached the parking lot. Tyrus was trying to unbuckle himself but was having major issues. I got out of the front seat and opened the back door. I unclipped him and lifted him out of the car. I immediately grabbed his hand so he wouldn’t run out into the lot. Once we reached the park he darted toward the slide. I sat down on a nearby bench and watched him.

                                                                     •§•

           I unlocked the front door to our small three-bedroom town house and threw the keys on the table. Tyrus was exhausted, so I put him to bed for a nap. I walked down the hall and stopped in front of my parents’ bedroom. The door was closed, my mom thought it acted like a soundproof wall. Well she was wrong.

          “Carnell, I can’t do this anymore. Our family has been teared apart and I need time to fix it.” My mother spoke truthful words. My father on the other hand, not so much.

          “Stop being so selfish, all you think is ‘me me me’ and you know you think that this family is your creation, you know I have helped so much to support this family.” My father has never done anything for this family.

          “All you do is sit on your ass all day, so don’t feed me lies. I’ve supported this family since the first day it ever existed.” My mom was furious.

          “Marlene, it takes two to make a family.” My father was trying to act heroic, like usual. My mom of course, didn’t put up with it.

         “Well I guess I’ve done the work and effort of two people.” My mother barely finished her sentence when I heard her scream. I flung open the door and my heart stopped. She was lying unconscious on the floor, her forehead was gushing blood and I felt myself fill with pure anger as my father stood over her with his golf club. I charged myself at him. I let out a snarling screech. I grabbed his forearms and shook him. Hot tears streaming down my cheeks, “WHY? W-WHY? HOW COULD YOU?” I stumbled as he grabbed my wrists and twisted my arms; I let out a painful yelp.

        I broke free of his grasp and kicked him in the shin. He fell to the floor holding his leg. As I started to run out of the room he took a swing at me with his club. It hit me in the back on the knee sending me plunging toward the doorway as I fell and hit my head. I didn’t give into the pain as my father started to get up, I felt the back of my knee pulsing and I was too week to stand. I crawled as fast as I could into the bathroom. I locked the door and pulled out my cell. With heavy breathing I dialed 9-1-1.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“Hello 9-1-1 please state your emergency.”

         I was hyperventilating, scared, and weak. “Pl-please help u-us. My f-father has kn-ocked my m-mother unconscious, he’s af-ter m-me.” I heard and felt a loud bang as my father was trying to break down the door.

         “It’s okay sweetie stay calm we’ll be right over. I need your address.” The lady over the phone spoke easily and steady.

          “7554 Windfal Drive, unit 4. P-please hurry,” I could barely speak but I tried to scream as my dad took another plunge at the door. “He’s tr-rying to break d-down the d-door!!” I stayed on the phone, just in case. I curled up in a ball in the corner of the room and just rocked back and forth letting the tears fall and fall and fall…

BANG

       The door was cracking. I was screwed. My dad kicked harder, and the door split right through the middle. My father was grinning, evilly. His eyes were crazed and I knew that he was capable of really hurting me. I fumbled around trying to get up, but my nerves got the best of me. He grabbed me by my hair and pulled me out of the bathroom. I was howling in pure agony as he pulled me down the stairs. I rolled down the last few steps and hit the hardwood flooring.

       My vision was blurring and I felt like puking. My dad swung his golf club and it made contact with my stomach. It winded me so bad that I turned over and threw up. My puke was filled with blood from him hitting me so hard. He was just about to take another swing when the cops showed up. They broke our lock and marched into the house.

        “Put your hands up!” an officer with a huge build was holding his gun up to my father. He didn’t look so great with his golf club in his hands and me puking up blood all over the floor. He turned around to face the officer and dropped the club. I just lay there, dazed on the floor as I watched them arrest my father.

         I turned to look up the stairs, Tyrus was standing there in shock, tears pouring down his face as he was paralyzed. I felt another wind of puke coming up my throat as I turned over and red poured out my mouth. A few paramedics ran upstairs to my mother, as Tyrus watched them he started toward me. The paramedics lifted me up into a stretcher and looked at my stomach, and my head.

         “Tyrus.” I mumbled as I turned my head toward the terrified little boy at the top of the staircase. A police officer walked over to me and she asked me if he was my brother. I nodded. She grabbed him and took him into her car and I saw her talking to him. I was worried for him. He shouldn’t be seeing this, yet going through it, nor should I.

           The paramedics came down the stairs with my unconscious mother on a stretcher. The bleeding had stopped. But she was covered in blood. It was something I would remember for the rest of my life. Seeing my mother, nearly lifeless. It broke my heart, seeing her like that. I was trembling, I was nervous. I didn’t know if she was going to make it through this. She’s had so many hits to the head. This might be the last time her body could go through it. But it might be the time where she couldn’t take it. My eyes pooled with tears at the thought of loosing my mother.

          The last thing I saw was watching the paramedics load her into the ambulance, and she was gone. My eyes closed, and I drowned in my own mind.