Chapter Twelve

Please read note at the end if you are looking for an explanation for my absence.

+++++

Chapter Twelve

"Sleep baby sleep,

What are you waiting for?

The morning is on its way,

You know it's only just a dream,

Oh sleep baby sleep,

I lie next to you,

The beauty of this mess is that it brings me close to you"

— BROODS "Sleep Baby Sleep"

There is something awfully dehumanizing about making someone beg. The act of begging itself: to ask earnestly or humbly, stems from wholehearted desperation. I find that more often than not, when one is reduced to depending upon this action, it is because one has lost almost all hope, and is dangling by a thread.

To stare into someone's eyes while they plead with you and feel absolutely nothing.

It shouldn't be possible.

It shouldn't be possible to feel nothing. To look into someone's eyes, which are often referred to as the windows to one's soul, and feel nothing.

It shouldn't be possible; but it is.

It should not have been possible, but it was.

I should have felt sick. I should have felt my stomach twist and my heart thunder away in my chest. My palms should have been clammy and my conscience should have been screaming at me to not do this.

But there was nothing. I only knew what I should be feeling, and that wasn't enough to make me feel anything.

"I'm begging you," the man whispered. "Please don't do this. Please, please have mercy on me."

My eyes lingered on his for only a moment longer, before they shifted to Nick. He stood only about a foot in front of the crowd that watched, with Nate and Kate standing behind them. I felt a brief flicker of confusion when I noticed that Nate's wrists were bound behind his back, while Kate stood there freely.

"We don't have all day," Nick practically sang out. "Are you going to kill this man or not?"

The gun felt heavy in my hand, but I maintained a firm grasp on it. My pointer finger trailed the trigger, and out of the corner of my eye, I watched the man close his eyes. Tears had trickled down his face, and his shoulders had already slumped down in defeat.

"Don't do this Evie."

His voice made my eyes flash over to him instantly. His eyes were full of concern and worry, and his tone demanded me to listen to him. I felt my head tilt slightly to the side as I took in Nate's unkempt appearance.

There was a sly smirk on his face, one that was hardly noticeable but there nonetheless. His stare was daring, almost challenging. He wanted me to cave. Not just that, he expected me to.

"This is not you," he tried again, his voice rising in volume when my eyes moved back to the man in front of me. "You are not this girl. I know you." His voice was strained and I could see him struggling against a man who was holding him back. It seemed that Nate believed that he would be able to reason with me if he was near me.