Chapter Seven

The bolded italics are meant to represent her father and the things he used to say.

That is all.

+++++

Chapter Seven

"Slow down, I can see you're slowing down.

But I won't leave your side."

Slow Down

TWICEYOUNG

For as long as I could remember, I've always been fascinated by darkness. Not only did I find myself frightened by the lack of light, but also entranced by the abyss of mystery that darkness seemed to be wrapped up in.

I used to sit in my closet for hours, silently absorbing the darkness that surrounded me, allowing it to enter through the pores of my skin until it had filled me to the brim. When I was a child, my mother used to panic and rush around the house to find me, thinking that I had run away.

You see, what stuck with me the most about these memories was the hard, painful slap of reality that struck me across the face when the door was finally opened, and light flooded into the small room. Having been in the darkness for so long, I would find myself recoiling from the sudden change, cringing and covering my eyes in hopes to return to the comfort that the light had deprived me of.

It was that reaction that caused me to become enthralled, even a little obsessed, with the idea of darkness. I loved its power, the way it could strike fear into even the toughest of men. I loved the way you could hide in it, the way you could be consumed by it.

So maybe that was the problem. From even a young age I depended on darkness to conceal all of my problems, that eventually I allowed it to conceal myself. I became consumed by it. I became darkness.

I relied on its ability to hide my flaws and mistake, stubbornly believed that the skeletons in my closet would remain hidden unless that darkness was dominated by the source of light—which I refused to let happen.

But then I met Sebastian King: a ruthless gang leader known for his lack of humanity, violence, and sociopathic tendencies. His dark features and actions deemed him the king of darkness, yet he, Sebastian King, served as the light in my life.

He was the one who brought all of my flaws and mistakes into the views of others. He made me vulnerable, exposed, and scared—as though I was nothing but a pathetic little girl.

I couldn't conceal myself from him, not only because it wasn't possible, but also because he refused to allow it. He uprooted me from the abyss of darkness that I had called my home, and stripped me of the protective barrier I had built around myself.

He made me weak. He made me unable to hide, unable to run, and unable to resist. I was completely at his mercy, without the strength to fight back, but also without the desire to. Perhaps all the time spent in the darkness had caused a small fascination in light to grow in me, causing me to subconsciously allow him to do this to me.

Whatever the reason was, it no longer mattered. Because as I sat there, under the bright, fluorescent lights that brightened the room to an almost unbearable extent, I wanted nothing more than to sink back into darkness, and wrap myself in its comforting arms, where I could be concealed from the world around me.

But I couldn't do that, no matter how much I wanted to. Because directly in front of me was a man by the name of Sebastian King, who made me unable to hide, unable to run, and unable to resist.

And I was completely at his mercy.

+++++

Guilt is a wretched thing.