Chapter Six

+++++

Chapter Six 

"I'm scared of fire,

You wonder why you make girls cry."

Straight for the Knife

Sia

My heart was pounding and my head felt overwhelmingly heavy. Harsh and bitter words were being exchanged outside the door that shielded me from the sickening reality I so desperately wished to avoid.  My hands subconsciously grasped the thin, rough sheets that were draped over my shaking body. The material absorbed the heat from my feverish body as I fought to control the way my hands twitched nervously as the voices rose significantly.

Pressing my eyes shut, I struggled to remember how I got here—in this cold hospital room. While the realization swept over my being, I felt my body slowly shut down.

I slowly began feeling the pain and discomfort that had momentarily escaped me when I had first woken up. My scalp burned as I remembered the hand that had so carelessly yanked my hair, angling my neck perfectly for him to plunge the needle into my exposed vein.

I could feel my body collapse as the drug took effect, my knees buckling and my vision fading rapidly as strength of the drug nearly knocked me off my feet.

I was brought back to reality as the beeping machine caught my attention. I blocked out the voices outside of the room and watched the way the line peaked upwards and dropped downwards, signally me the obvious: after all of this, I was still alive.

A bitter laugh exited my lips as the thought crossed my mind.

I was alive, but I sure as hell didn't feel that way. In fact, I haven't felt alive in a long time.

Those burst of energy, where I would feel fearless as confidence surged through my being—that wasn't living. That was adrenaline.

I was dead emotionally and mentally, yet my heart still pumped and my organs still served their functions, keeping the shell alive while I withered away.

"I've fucking had it!"

His distinctly dark tone caused my body to seize. A chill swept through the room as my stomach knotted, my eyes now zeroing in on the door handle as it jerked slightly.

"For the last time, Mr. King, I cannot let you into that room!" The doctor's feeble attempts to stop Sebastian were pathetic to say the least; yet they seemed to work as the door handle returned to its usual position.

"And why the hell won't you?" He growled out, causing a lethal silence to follow his words as the doctor seemed to struggle to form an answer.

"I must check her over and consult her on these tests-" papers shuffled in the background as he held up what I could only assume were the papers he was referring to. "But I can't do that until she is awake, and judging from dosage of the drug she was given, I doubt that will be any time soon."

A series of curse words were his response, followed by the loud echoing of footsteps as Sebastian paced back and forth within the hallway.

 I could hear other voices join in, my ears perking when I heard Danny's concerned tone rise above the rest.

"Why hasn't she woken up yet? It's been three hours. Do you think something is wrong? Do you think she's okay? How strong was the drug?"

My eyes moved to the clock perched on the wall, noticing that indeed it was nearly two o'clock in the morning.