Chapter Nine

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to thank everyone who has gone out of their way to reach out to me and be so supportive over these last few weeks, it truly means the world to me.

+++++

Chapter Nine

"We're living in a dirty world,

Might as well get dirty girl."

- Emile Haynie "Dirty World"

There was an ache in my throat, one that resulted from me holding in the hurt and pain as my eyes welled and my heart thudded forcefully in my chest.

"Why?"

My voice cracked, and I flinched as soon as it did, my eyes flickering downwards in shame and humiliation. I sounded weak and I felt weak; I was at my lowest point.

"You don't get it." The voice was firm, yet I could detect the slightest bit of emotion in the words.

My eyes flickered back up, desperately searching the brown ones that stared back at me, hoping to find even a sliver of regret or guilt. But there was nothing, nothing concrete enough for me to allow my hope to take over. I refused to let hope make me think that there was any source of humanity in them.

I had hope once, I thought bitterly, and look where that got me.

"Explain then," I hissed out, the betrayal evident in my tone. "Tell me why you're doing this."

I watched as they took a step back, shaking their head as they did so. Anger started to fill me at a dangerous rate, mixing in with the hurt and betrayal already there to form a toxic substance.

"How could you do this to me?" I shrieked out, unable to hold in the devastation I felt. "I trusted you! I fucking trusted you! How could you do this to me? You're supposed to be my friend."

My voice was nothing more than a weak whisper by the end of my statement, the tears burning the backs of my eyes while my face flushed heatedly.

"This was out of my control."

The words served as the spark that ignited the wildfire within me. A murderous, animalistic growl left my throat as I lunged forwards, making the figure in front of me stumble back in horror. A snarl escaped my lips as a burning pain shot up my wrists that remained firmly bound together behind my back. I could physically feel the build up of sweat, blood, and grime on my body, causing the nauseating revulsion to grow stronger with each passing second.

The chair let out an awful screech due to my actions, barely moving an inch forwards while I released an avalanche of profanity from my lips. In the mix of death threats and cruel words, I saw a look of guilt flash across their face.

"Evie," they began, their voice nothing but a pathetic whimper.

"You fucking sicken me." I interrupted, my eyes staring harshly into their own, making the person shift uncomfortably before whispering a soft apology as they exited the room, leaving me tied to a chair in complete darkness.

It was only then that I allowed a heartbroken sob to break free from my trembling lips. The ropes were rubbing my wrists raw and my legs had been numb for hours, unable to move even the slightest bit against the ropes wrapped tightly around them.

"You have no one to blame but yourself. This is your fault."

And he was right.

I could practically feel my father's disappointment in me, making the cries quicken, as the ache in my chest grew unbearable.