Chapter Nine - Breaking Through

Cale’s POV

“I’m not stalking you I just didn’t want to interrupt your conversation.” I said making my way up the rocks to the platform on top where Shay was waiting for me; it wasn’t a complete lie, I was just waiting for her conversation to end before I made my presence known.

“Really, is that so? So you just wandered off the unbeaten path and just so happened to end up here?” She asked looking around the woods knowing that there was no set path to the location; damn, well I guess I have to admit I was sort of stalking her.

“I was on a path running and I caught your scent; I just wanted to make sure you didn’t get yourself lost.” I lied.

“I’m a big girl, I can handle myself and when have you even known a werewolf to get lost?” She asked raising her eyebrows at me.

“So what are you doing up here all by yourself?” I asked ignoring her question.

“It’s relaxing and a nice break from being cooped up in the house of hens.” She replied with a chuckle that I returned with one of my own; she really couldn’t stand to be around all those girls and half the time I couldn’t blame her. It was hard enough for me to be around four or five of them at once for a long period of time I couldn’t imagine living with all fifteen. It’s not that I didn’t like them it’s just that so many girls in one place was a lot for a guy to handle.

“Do you come out here often?” I asked already knowing the answer from how her scent was all over the place; I just wanted to keep the conversation flowing in hopes that she wouldn’t shut me out.

“Almost every day; it’s beautiful, don’t you think?” She asked gesturing to the edge of the cliff and the crystal clear water below.

“Yeah it is, my brothers and I used to spend a lot of time here when we were younger.”

“Why not now?” She questioned as I took a seat next to her.

“Just too much going on I guess; we still come out here every now and then to release some steam.” I thought back to when we were going over the applications together and decided to take a break and come out here to jump off the cliff together; it was always a way for the three of us to unwind and just spend some quality time together.