Chapter Five - Are you crazy?

Shay’s POV

“I think the real question is why did you pick me? Why am I here right now? I would have thought that I made it clear enough in my interview that I wasn’t interested, so why did you bring me here?” I asked the questions that had been on my mind since the moment the council called and told me I was chosen.

“I found you interesting - intriguing; there was something about you that I couldn’t let go of and I wanted to find out what it was.” He answered looking over at me with his bright blue eyes; I quickly looked away not wanting to get caught up in them.

          I came here with a plan to make him hate me, to make him want to get rid of me as fast as he could; I didn’t want any part in The Ringing and I wouldn’t allow myself to fall for him. It didn’t matter that he had eyes as blue as the ocean, or a smile that made me want to drool; even the fact that under that suit my guess was he had the body of a Greek God, or the way his hair was tempting me to reach out and touch it to see if it was as silky as it looked. None of that mattered, or at least it shouldn’t matter; I wasn’t here to fall for the man sitting beside me, I was here to get away from him. So why could I not stop staring at him every time I got a chance to sneak a peek? I needed to pull myself together and get back to the original mission of getting myself back home before I got too off track and found myself stuck here.

“There’s really nothing that interesting about me, so I’m sorry that you wasted your time. There are plenty of girls standing in that room who would love nothing more than to spend the rest of their lives with you, you should be in there getting to know them and not wasting your time with me.” I stated hoping that I had made my point and he would get the hint to let me go and move onto someone else.

“The fact that you don’t want to be here is the reason that you’re here; it tells me that you’re not here for the wrong reasons. Although some of those girls may not be here solely for the purpose of power and fame I won’t know for sure until I get to know them; with you it’s already a given, I already know that you don’t want me just for the fact that I’m Royal.” He glanced in the direction of the living room for a moment before turning his attention back to me; I opened and closed my mouth a few times as I tried to find the right words to battle him with.

“It’s not just that I don’t want you because you’re a Royal, I don’t want you at all! Please do both of us a favor and send me home tonight; it will save you a lot of time and headaches from keeping me around when I never wanted to be here in the first place.” There, that should do it; I couldn’t be much blunter than that, right?