Kaleidoscope | Chapter 4

C H A P T E R 4

Miscommunication

The library wasn't opened yet when Avery arrived, so she gathered Miranda was late. She stood in front of the double doors, moving her head to her music's rhythm. Maybe only a few minutes had past when her co-worker had finally arrived. Avery smiled at her but Miranda ignored her.

Miranda has never liked Avery, at all.

Although, she has never told Avery why. But she thinks it's either because Amy had stopped hanging out with her after their mother died, and probably blames Avery for her best friend's lack of social life. Which, in truth, maybe Miranda was okay at being mad at her. Because yes, Avery did ruin her sister's social life, it was a miracle she still hangs out with Miranda, to be honest. The other reason ( which Drake himself had offered ) is that she's jealous of Avery hanging out with Drake which is stupid because that's what best friends do, so Avery likes to think it's the first.

Avery still smiled and chirped a, "Good morning," happily as they both entered the library, Miranda with a coffee from Starbucks on hand and Avery with her shit mp3 on hand too. Miranda ignored that too, as she turned the 'closed' sign to 'open.' She put her purse on the counter and turned to computer on while Avery immediately walked to the returned books so she could put them back where they were suppose to be at.

For the most part of their shift, they didn't talk. It was just the two of them on Saturdays since their boss took that day off and works every other day. It wasn't really pleasant, just the two of them. They never talked or anything, the occasion where they said more than 5 words to each other was rare. Usually, Avery didn't mind, she doesn't like conflict so it's better to just ignore each other than be fighting all the time, but today she needed some interaction with other human beings other than Drake and Amy.

Everytime Avery tried to make conversation, she was shut down for the most part.

"Miranda, don't you think that Amy needs to get out more and stuff? Because - "

She was completely ignored, but this time a cold glare shut her up. Right, bad topic to make conversation on. Next try.

"We really need more dystopian books here man, don't you agree?"

Miranda had slightly nodded as continued checking in the new romance book they had ordered. She probably just did it on instant that when she faintly hears Avery talk, to just nod so she'll go away. Right, next try.

"Can you believe that we have a bomb under the desk and it will denote in less than five minutes? We should probably go, don't you think?"

She wasn't acknowledge at all, just another nod and Avery gave up. She sulked on her seat and sighed. Miranda wasn't going to talk to her whatever she did, and it frustrated her so much because she just wanted to have someone to talk to, and Avery was willing to forget all the times Miranda had ignored, insulted, or had snapped at her if it meant she would have another person to talk to.

Right after Avery had tripped and taken a box of new books along with her, she pwas actually acknowledge for the first time today. Miranda sighed, and bend down to pick up the books her co-worker had dropped.

"Sorry," Avery whispered.

"It's fine," She muttered and Avery tried to his her surprise at those words. "I am used to you being clumsy, if I'm honest."

"I'm not clumsy," She scowled, slightly offended but she couldn't help to smile a just slightly because Miranda was talking to her, it was a wonderful surprise.

"You fall or trip at least 5 times a day, Avery." She retaliated, smiling at her co-worker for what it felt like the first time, if sh was honest.

She scowled again and stood up, crossing her arms. "Fine, I'm clumsy. But you are a coffee addict. At least 2 cups of coffee a day." It was playful banter only.

Miranda smiled again. "If that's what it takes to not fall asleep at work, I'm a coffee addict then," She shrugged. She good up, with the box of books in hand and turned around to put them on counter.

Avery trailed behind her, she didn't want to stop talking. "Keep awake? How can you fall asleep reading?" She faked horror and smiled brighter when Miranda laughed.

Miranda shook her head. "Can't fall asleep really easy here, you make a lot of noise for that to happen," She rolled her eyes, cocking her head to the side.

"I do?" Avery frowned. "I never noticed."

"Yeah, specially when you are shelving books, you sing." She said in mock horror.

"You can hear me?" Avery asked in surprised. She was not used to this, to Miranda talking to her, she was used to being ignored so when she sang while doing work, she never thought of her co-worker, because she thought she couldn't hear her sing like the times she couldn't hear her talk.

She nodded. "When you sing Miley Cyrus, you get heated," She laughed, "My favorite one is Wrecking Ball!"

Avery looked mortified, she didn't know she was that loud. "Sorry for being too loud."

"It's fine, it's fun and refreshing to watch. Better than silence."

"Then why do you always ignore me then?" Avery snapped and closed her mouth immediately, she hadn't meant to say that, not right now when they were getting along.

"I'm sorry, I - I didn't know you wanted to talk to me, I always thought you didn't like me," Miranda admitted sheeply.

Avery blinked in surprise because where did Miranda get that idea? "I thought you like me!"

"I guess we had bad communication," Miranda slightly laughed, a twinkle in her eyes Avery hadn't seen in a long time. She smiled back at her and then the bell of the door rang and they both looked at each other, "I guess we better go, customers."

She nodded but didn't move of her spot. "Thank you," Avery said softly, "For talking to me."

Miranda looked at her weirdly before shrugging and smiling, "Thanks for talking to me too." She smiled on more time and tuned around to greet the customer, putting for what it felt like the first time, a real smile.

Avery smiled to herself, she reckons work won't be as boring as it used to be.

Re-written - 24 of January 2014