Chapter 9

"Maybe we should grab some dog food," I heard Daryl say behind me as he dropped a can which hit the floor loudly. I turned around to shush him, but laughed when he dipped his finger in the can and took a taste. "Yuck! We can leave this behind." He said and I laughed continuing to scan through the various items. "'Chonne, where do you think we gone go after Terminus?" I had actually never thought about that. I always drifted, after Terry and Mike and the concentration camp, before the prison. But, I didn't want to drift anymore. Not with this huge group, maybe on my own I could maintain, but with this many people it would draw too much attention on the roads, and it also could get us killed. That's when it hit me, what about a gaited neighborhood. There were quite a few around the neighborhood Mike and I lived in. They were full of rich people, so there would be nice things, and it would be gaited with iron fences, could keep Walkers out.

"A gaited neighborhood." I answered, and Daryl looked up at me, and I looked down to the floor. I wasn't sure how he'd react but he didn't answer.

"We have a little while to decide, anyway," Daryl mumbled and I sighed. Guess he wasn't all for the idea, as I thought. Daryl never wanted to be a rich bitch and act like a prissy. He would rather live on the road, rather to be in a gaited neighborhood. "How long do you plan on stayin'?" I heard him ask, and I threw some more cans into the bag. I shrugged, not telling a white lie this time. I actually had no idea, and I would have stayed but I was already becoming sick of this place. Terminus. What a name. "I think we've got everything we need." I nodded and turned around to face him.

"Yeah, we should probably get out of here before the Walkers start noticin' we are in here." Daryl said, walking towards the entrance. "I just gotta get somethin' first. You can stay here, keep watch... I'll be back in a second." I nodded and watched him walk back into the pharmacy section, probably to get some medicine he needed. I kept watch outside, and this town was completely empty. Not many of the stores were picked over, and it was perfect. Daryl and I were planning on coming on more runs to this small town. Daryl came back, the bag slung over his shoulder, and I nodded to him. "Look, Michonne," not with calling me 'Michonne' again. "I like you, and I know you don't like me much. But can we still pretend everything is normal 'tween us. Don't want nothin' to be awkward 'round anyone else." This is when I knew that I wanted Daryl Dixon, not only did he want me, but I wanted him. He was past what you saw on the outside, the inside was what really turned me on, and I wasn't sure why. He was so caring and generous on the inside, and he understood me. I took a few steps toward him, so close I could feel his hot breath against my forehead. I stared deep into his blue eyes, noticing how blue they were. Daryl leaned into my lips and I leaned in too,  and our Daryl who smiled right back. "This is why I came on the run with you." Daryl said, smiling. I noticed it was the first time he had ever smiled. I had ever seen him smile. That made me happy too.

"Oh, you didn't come here with me to have fun?" I asked him, smirking and he smiled back at me.

"I did have fun, now we gotta get back to Terminus before someone thinks we fucked." I laughed and so did he and we walked out of the abandoned store. But, secretly, I kinda wished we did.