Chapter 21: The Transfer Part II

The Transfer - Cassie Cassadaga

The following week passed in a blur of consultant sessions with Ian and hours spent working in the office, the Broffman trial was growing closer and we had really kicked in to high gear. Trying to line up all the evidence that would link the murders to Broffman, but we were still struggling with the identity of the whistle-blower, without that it was just a conveniently linked string of circumstantial evidence.

I had just walked out of the office for the evening, when I realise that I had left my keys on the desk. As I headed in the main office area, I noticed that someone was bent over my desk riffling through my notes. I can’t believe it - it’s Jennifer! I would have thought that by now she should know that she needs to back off. I can’t believe that she is actually doing this.

My first instinct was to walk up for her and confront her, but just as I was about to I realised that all my notes and folders on the Baltimore case were in my briefcase, which I was holding in my hand. So I stood there in the dark entrance of the office and looked at her, as she was methodically going through the desk. What should I do? She won’t find anything that would connect the Baltimore murders to my mother there. I should probably wait and discuss this with Mr. Rosenthal… But I need my keys!

I backed out quietly, into the corridor and past the meeting room, as I passed its door I open it gently and then closed it. Loudly enough to make a noise that I hoped would make Jennifer paranoid and scare her off. I walked quickly into the staff-room, where from the corner of my eye I could see the area around the elevators. A few moments later, I noticed Jennifer, as she quickly walked away and pressed the button for the elevator. As soon as the door had closed, I dashed back in to my desk. I found my keys and I placed them in my pocket as I searched my desk, trying to determine whether any of my documents have actually been stolen. She’s clearly trying to find anything to get me off this case. She is so petty, clutching at straws and betraying people as if that would get her better cases. The only thing that would actually get her better cases is if she focused on being a good attorney rather than knowing all of the office gossip.

I sat opposite Mr. Rosenthal in his study at headquarters, it was early in the morning and we were having breakfast on the cream couch. It was a cloudy day, so the light that fell through the window was of that muted, grey pre-dawn variety.

“So Cassie, when you called last night you said it was urgent?”

Even though I was still seething on the inside from Jennifer’s audacity, something about Mr. Rosenthal demeanour always calmed me down. I guess I hadn't really considered it but I had come to trust and value his levelheadedness and advice.

“So I forgot my keys last night and as I walked back to my desk, I found Jennifer riffling through my notes as if she was looking for anything that might demote me from the case and would help promote her.”

Mr. Rosenthal looked concerned and he sat his coffee cup down on its plate, thinking about the situation for a moment. This is why I came to him, he doesn’t make any rash decisions.

“This is very troubling, was there anything there for her to find that could have potentially been harmful?”

I shook my head gently, adding, “Luckily it was all in my briefcase.”

He nodded and I could see that he was analysing the situation quietly, “For a start, from now on you can not leave anything that may compromise your personal connection to the case at the office. Secondly, we need to construct a way in which I can formally call Jennifer in and reprimand her for what has happened.” Okay, that might work but I’m not sure that it will entirely stop her. Maybe if she is scared to loose her job? Maybe that will get her to back off. “Obviously I need to be very serious and threatening so that she realises that if she keeps this up, she will loose her job. I don’t want to fire the girl but obviously the protection of you and The Society takes priority over Miss Brenner. If I scare her good, the hopefully she will stop this atrocious digging and we can be done with this sordid business.” I nodded and instantly felt grateful that he didn't want to fire her. I didn’t think he would but it calmed me to hear that he would handle the situation as fairly as possible. “I don’t want to involve you in this as it may spur her on. So what I will do is I will tell Miss Penelope that she will need to act as the witness who saw Jennifer. If I tell Miss Penelope that the real witness wishes to remain anonymous due to fear of tension in the work place she won’t ask any questions.”