Chapter 18: The Move Part II

The Move - Cassie Cassadaga

I was walking home from the subway station, after my afternoon with Precious. Just the thought of her made me smile. Maybe it is time for me to move. Maybe it won’t be so bad to be closer to work especially now that the Broffman case will take so much more of my time.

I found myself passing the street where I had been mugged. I stared down it, my eyes peeled on the spot where I had fallen to the ground helpless against the attacks from the mugger. I felt a shudder going up my spine. If Broffman had already found me here once, what’s to say that he won’t do it again?

I pulled up my phone and as I quickly walked towards my apartment, my heart involuntarily beating quickly from the thought of the mugging, I pressed the call icon next to Precious name.

“Hi Cassie,” her voice was warm and happy.

“So I thought about it and as you said apartments in your building goes quickly... So maybe I should just take a leap of faith and go for it.”

I could sense that she was smiling on the other end of the line, “Great. I will call the supervisor and let him now. He should call you tonight to go through the details,” she sounded happy.

I walked up to my apartment building, in a way I felt sad. It was the end of an era. But I need to move, I am not going to stop working on the Broffman case and he will find a new way to intimidate me. I might as well move. But I’m just going to do this for myself. I’m not going to involve The Society in this. I’ll do this on my own. They can not tell me what to do.

I had nipped by the apartment building in Midtown to collect my keys and sign some contracts. The oily looking supervisor had been decent enough, at least for being a supervisor and had only made one small comment about my quick decision to move. I was turning the corner towards Collect Pond Park, not walking my normal route to the office. I guess that in a few days that this would be my normal route.

As I walked across the park, I noticed the blond hair and great strides of Joe coming towards me. He had clearly noticed me too, as his long arm was flapping around in the air in a very enthusiastically wave.

"I didn't know you walked this way? Don't you normally take the subway to Canal Street?" he said to me as he arrived by my side, slightly out of breath from hurrying over.

I might as well tell him. It's not like he won't find out eventually anyways. "Actually, I went past my new apartment building to pick up my keys and sign some contracts."

Joe's face lit up with a grin, like it did as an almost instant response to anything that I said, "That's great. Moving is so exciting!"

I rolled my eyes. I hardly found it exciting, more than anything it was a necessity at this point.

Joe fell in step with me as I started walking again towards the office, after a few moments silence he spoke again, "So where are you moving to?"

"Midtown, it seemed more convenient for work." I guess that's the official excuse that I will be sticking with.

We rounded the corner and walked up the district attorney's office.

Joe hummed to himself and added, "Just let me know if you need any help moving."

I smiled at him weakly and added, "I may take you up on that."

I was sitting at my desk as Jen swooped down, she was wearing a pink skirt with a white blouse tucked in to its high waist.  The long pearl necklace around her neck swung dangerously close to my face as she sat down on the corner of my desk. I looked at a bunch of notes slightly scrunching from the pressure of her skirt, but decided against pointing this out to her. What’s the point anyway? They will still be readable even if they are wrinkled…