Chapter 15: The Fellows Part I

The Fellows - Ian Dawn

The grey familiary building was towering over me, as I walked through the enterce to the district attorney’s office yet again. By now the security guards had become so used to my twice weekly visits, as I approached they just waved me through the barriers with a smile. It really have been a lot of work being the consultant on the Broffman case. But it also is a really important case for us and above else for Cassie.

As I rode the elevator up, I was slightly nervous to see Cassie I haven’t seen her since she stormed out of headquarters a few days ago during the welcoming. I have given her a few days to cool off but I really need to see her now. I need to make sure that everything is alright and that she’s not completely freaking out about everything.

I walked over to her desk, I could see that she is completely engrossed in her work with a scatter of notes spread across her desk.

“Hey you!” I realised that I was actually a lot more excited to see her than what I thought. She looked up and smiled back at me. Good, she doesn’t seem to be upset with me. That’s a start at least…

“How about going to a cup of coffee and a little walk before we start our session?” I need to get her out of the office for a little bit. I need to talk to her about everything that happened during the welcoming.

She seemed to understand what I am hinting at, “Sounds like a good idea. Let me just get my coat.”

As she was buttoning up her coat and grabbing her handbag, I could see Joe from the corner of my eye. He was watching us from his desk, across the room. The slight frown on his face made me suspect that he wasn't pleased about what he saw. I need to keep an eye on that guy. He clearly doesn’t like me and he could be hurtful to my intentions. It’s important that Cassie gets acclimatised with The Society and he could be a hurdle for that…

My thoughts are interrupted by Cassie, “I thought you were ready to go?”

“Yes of course, sorry about that. I guess I’m just a little bit off today,” I smiled back at her and pulled a slightly goofy face. She giggled as we head of towards the lifts.

The winter air was cold and fresh pinching at checks and noses left exposed to its ways, as we strode along the path in the park. Cassie had locked her arm in with mine and we were making our way slowly down on of the winding pathways.

“So it was quite the showdown at the welcoming?” I started out with a gentle tone. I could see Cassie scrunching up her face. She had clearly  been thinking about it too.

“I know, I guess it was just a shock to me. I didn’t think that he would be a part of it.” She placed a cold stress on the word ‘he’ as if she was talking about someone she didn't know. I guess in a way she doesn’t know him. He left a couple of years before her mothers murder and she hasn’t seen him since.

The revelation suddenly made me question the leader that I have been faithfully trusting and endlessly following my whole life. I spoke without thinking, “What he did wasn’t right. He wasn’t right in leaving you as a child and he wasn’t right in keeping his involvement in The Society a secret for so long.”

She nodded, “I’m not angry at you or Mr. Rosenthal. I knew that you were only following your instructions and I know that he can be a very persuasive man.” I looked back at her, surprised that she could stay so calm and analyse the situation so objectively. I feel like I need to tell her that I don’t think Stern is as bad as she thinks he is.