Chapter 24: The Power Play Part II

The Power Play - Cassie Cassadaga

I was walking towards headquarters, in a way it felt new and unfamiliar. I always went here with Ian, this was something that we did together. But if I was going to stake a claim as leader, I would have learn how to go to headquarters on my own. Stern is not a good leader anymore and I need to stand up to him, something needs to be done about the way that the power is used within The Society.

I had made the decision, I was going to make a power play for role of leader, the way The Society was run at the moment made me sick. If I choose not to be a member, I was agreeing to what they do and if I was a member and didn't do anything to stop it I was also agreeing to it. I didn't want to do this but I had to. Mum used to be the leader and I am sure that she wouldn’t want to see the power being used in this morally blurred way. She had ideals that she believed in, she was a lawyer, she fought for what was right and the way that The Society is being run at the moment is not right.

I walked through the entrance, Miss Walker smiled at me, “Lovely to see you again, Miss Cassadaga.”

I smiled back at her quickly, “And you too.”

I headed up the big marble stairs, as I reached the top I turned around searching the lounge area for the person I had come to see. I found him sitting in wide red leather armchair, playing chess with a little boy. I wonder if that could be his younger brother? I walked over to them.

“Hello Andy.”

He smiled up at me, his blue eyes flashing of curiosity, “Hi Cassie. This is Tim, my younger brother.” The little boy, with wild and unruly black hair smiled at me shyly before he got up and ran away. “He’s a little bit shy…,” Andy smiled again as I took the seat on the other side of the chessboard, "So you wanted to talk to me?”

“Yes, I did…,” I was playing with the king, the chess piece felt heavy under my fingers, “I need to speak to your father actually. I was wondering if you could introduce me.”

“Okay, what is it about?”

How should I approach this? “Oh, it’s about a police matter. I would prefer to discuss it with him in confidence, I wouldn’t want to worry my father.”

Andy looked at me, mischievously. I could tell that he didn’t believe me for a second, “Don’t worry, my dad is good at keeping confidences…” He got up and gestured for me to follow, “He’s probably in his study right now.”

I got up and followed him.

Police commissioner Rowe, was sitting opposite me at his desk. His study looked a lot like Mr. Rosenthal’s but the walls were of a lighter colour and he favoured a glass desk instead of a wooden one.

“So you had something to discuss with me?” he looked intrigued that same glimpse of curiosity reflected in his eye, mimicking the expression of his son.

“Yes, police commissioner Rowe.”

“No need for formality in here Cassie. So tell me, what can I do for you?”

“Well Mr. Rowe, I just wanted to give you some advance notice…” Police commissioner Rowe looked even more intrigued, he raise his eyebrows into a question. “Tonight, you will be called to a fellows meeting. It will be a meeting that I will attend as well.”

“Yes?” he looked at me, holding my eyes with full focus.

“The meeting will be in regards to the leadership of The Society. I have been questioning the way the power of The Society is used. I think things can be run in a more efficient way.”