Chapter 12: The Society Part II

The Society - Cassie Cassadaga

We walked up to the grey unassuming building, it looked big and bulky even though it was only five floors tall. If I had passed it I would have assumed that it was an apartment building on perhaps a posh private members club. As we step in to the lobby, I could see a huge marble staircase leading upstairs.

“Hello Mr. Dawn.” I noted a blond woman with her hair in a neat bun, next to a grandiose reception desk. Ian rested his arm on my shoulder. “And this must be Miss Cassadaga, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” She seemed like a nice woman and her greeting felt sincere. I smiled back at her but still wary about the whole situation.

Ian introduced her, “Miss Walker works as our receptionist, she makes sure that only members are allowed access to the building.”

“Oh, okay.”

As we were walking up the marble steps I could feel my stomach turn with each step. I had no idea what would be waiting for me at the top of the staircase. Will there be cloaks and daggers, a mysterious room  or some kind of initiation ceremony? What have I really gotten myself into?

At the top of the marble steps, I turned around and was greeted by a large room, it had a living room feeling to it mixed with the feel of a library. There were seating areas scattered across the room, with big red leather chairs and couches, little dark wooden tables and big bookshelves filled with books. My eyes scanned the room, I noticed a couple sitting in leather chairs opposite each other, he was reading a newspaper and drinking coffee while she was deeply into her book. I noticed two younger guys, who looked like they were having a vivid debate across the chessboard, apparently mid game. I noticed a family drinking tea, their kids running around and playing in the large room. I didn’t know what I expected but this was not it.

“This is our main lounge area. We can all spend time here or in the dining room, it’s purely a social environment. We don’t discuss anything of sensitivity when the kids are around.”

I looked at him, “So the kids, they don’t know? They just spend time here with their parents and never question it?” They have all been eased into this world, this secret society gradually as they have grown up. I never had that, all of this has come as an absolute shock to me.

“Yes, they are told that it’s a private members club. That’s the excuse that we use, when we need one to the external world.” He looked at me and added, “Some members of The Society hold more control than others, they have meetings in the meeting room and have their own studies allocated. That way business can be discussed in an environment where the kids aren’t around.” I was just about to ask him more about these more powerful members, when a guy with short black hair and a distinctive raven tattoo on his neck walked over to us. I thought I recognised him from somewhere but I could not quite put my finger on it.

“Hello Ian! I didn’t know that you were swinging by today?” He smiled widely and then cocked an eyebrow when his eyes fell on me. “Hello I’m Andy Rowe by the way.” The police commissioner’s son…

“Hello I’m Cassie Cassadaga.”

He smiled back at me, “Why don’t we go for a early lunch?” Andy’s suggestion did sound good, some food might be nice. I hadn’t managed to eat that much for breakfast. Now that I was here it was not as scary as I thought it would be. Seeing the kids and how relaxed everyone was, had put me at ease.

“Sure, lunch sounds good,” Ian didn’t sound entirely convinced. But Andy smiled and walked beside me towards the dining room, Ian following close behind us.

The food had been extraordinary, I was questioning how they managed to sustain all of this. They had staff, a functioning restaurant serving the dining room and the rent on this building alone must be horrendous.