Epilogue

Epilogue

Standing in complete darkness was one thing, but standing on your own and not knowing where you were was something to be afraid of. I couldn't see past my nose, actually, I couldn't see my nose. Cool air brushed past my cheeks and ruffled the small hairs on my head. I had to be somewhere.

I started walking; the floor was hollow and sounded like I was walking on wood. It creaked when I stopped and leaned forward, yep I was walking on something. I carried on until I could see a spot of light and the far end. I felt like I was in a tunnel, as I got closer the breeze became stronger, it was light at first but became more forceful as it struggled to push me back. There was no sound or smell to tell where I was going, only the light that wasn't too far away.

The wind pushed my hair in front of my eyes and stumbled to a stop, brushing it back with my hands. I exhaled sharply and began to jog down the tunnel, getting faster as the wind became harsher. The light was drawing closer and closer. My legs fell into larger strides and my speed picked up and the light surrounded me instantly, blinding me to a stop. I blinked and shielded my eyes with my hands. It was so bright.

Once my eyes became adjusted to the harsh light, I looked beyond the opening and gasped. I was home, but how? Cars drove past and the sudden smell of exhaust fumes filled my nose, I coughed and walked out into the sunlight. It felt strange to be home, like I wasn't all here. Skipping across the road, I noted down the people walking around. It wasn't that busy and I gathered it must be a weekday, or something. However, Cambridge was always busy. Weird I thought as I walked towards the green in the middle of the city and looked towards the tourist information building with some kind of astonishment.

I can't believe I'm home, I thought.

Standing next to the green was a young woman with pointy ears, her eyes were a grey blue and her hair was long and limp.

"Excuse me, what day is it?" I asked.

The young lady blinked and took a step back. She quickly checked her shoulders as if to make sure I was talking to her.

"You're talking to me?" She asked, adjusting her long coat.

"Yes." I replied, carefully hoping she was okay.

I have never seen Fae here, apart from Mac. The thought of him dragged on my heart and I wondered where he was.

"It's Friday, Twenty eighth of March." She said, looking at me wearily.

"Thanks." I said

As I turned, she grabbed hold of my arm. I looked down at her dirty hands and then to her dulled eyes.

"You can... really see me?" She asked, hope in her eyes.

I nodded. "Yes, of course I can...why do ask?"

She let go and just stared at me. Creepy.

"This is no man's land...The in-between." She replied with a shrug.

No man's land?

"No, we're in the human world." I said, looking around us. People, humans bustled around going from one place to another. All focused on themselves and no one else.

"Yes, but not fully.... The in-between is a place where lost souls come... it's very lonely here and not many come through. That was why I was surprised to see you." She smiled a little.

I felt as my whole world was starting to fall down around me. That explains why I feel so strange, that I'm not a hundred percent. Because I'm not.

"What do you mean by lost soul?" I asked, looking back at the girl.

She was gone, just an empty space in front of me. Glancing around I watched everyone walk past, I looked at the bus stops up ahead and started doing jumping jacks. I stopped when no one looked at me. Just then, I was shoved out of the way. Falling to the grass, I watched as a young boy my age walks past, not looking at me for an apology. I brush myself off and watch as he stops at a bus stop and waits. I want to scream and yell at him, but what good would that do? He can't see me. I gulp back tears and instead clench my fists.

I have to go get out of here, I need to find Faerie and get my hundred percent back.