Chapter twenty six

A/N: sorry it has taken a while for this chapter to appear. As always feel free to point out any mistakes I have made spelling, grammar, plot etc. thanks for all your support x

Chapter Twenty Six

"Can you see anything?"

I shouted up at Mac, who had climbed up a great oak tree to see if he could see anything that would give us a hint as to which direction to take.

"No, just a lot of tree tops and mountains in the distance!" He shouted down.

"Well, that was a waste of time." Kieran sulked, glancing around him.

"It was worth a try." I defended myself.

We were unbelievably lost. I recognised nothing from my dream and I was growing anxious at the thought of being stuck in this forest for the rest of my life. Glancing around, we had found a clearing. Mac said it was once a busy crossroads. Each direction would lead you to either court, south being Unseelie, north was Court of Danu and east, Seelie.

"What was in the west?" I asked

"The human world." Kieran said

"The human world?"

Kieran gave a slight nod his eyes darkening. "It's a gate out of Faerie. Though it stopped working when the disease got hold of it." He said.

"A lot of us passed through those portals to start new lives in the human world. We all knew that it wouldn't stay open for much longer." Mac added.

I wondered if my parents had gone through the same portal. Oddly I felt a sense of connection.

"But, how come the other portals work?" I suddenly found myself saying.

Both of them shrugged. "Old magic, maybe?" Mac said.

"Faerie can do many things, even we don't understand." Kieran said, looking up a great oak.

Mac dropped down beside me, brushing his hands on his trousers. He gave me a smirk, as if to say 'how he can just drop from a great height and not injure himself'.

"What now?" Kieran said, his arms stretching out either side of him. He looked fed up as he scanned the area.

I slumped down on an old rotting log, the smell of damp rising up to greet me. I was about to say 'I don't know.' when something familiar caught my eye.

A small bird, a robin sat, perched on a thin branch. It wavered in the breeze, ever so slightly. Recognition dawned on me as it cocked it's head to look down at us.

"Guys?" I said, standby up still looking at the bird. They stopped talking and looked up at the Robin.

"What?" Kieran asked, just as the robin whistled and fluttered over my head towards a nearby tree.

I didn't answer, standing up sharply I quickly followed him. This was just like how my dream went. I could feel my heart jumping up into my throat with every beat. My palms began to sweat.

"Sophia, wait!" Mac called out from behind.

They were just a few footsteps behind me. I stopped when the robin did, as if it wanted me to follow him. I took a glance over my shoulder as the guys fast approached.