Chapter Eighteen

A/N: Thank you for all the comments and votes, keep them coming as will the chapters :)

Chapter Eighteen

The bright light dispersed and I blinked multiple of times to get rid of the white spots. It was like someone had taken a picture in your face with the flash on. I steadied myself, arms out stretched so I wouldn't fall over this time.

Our surroundings began to focus. I looked up at the sky, tree tops closed in around an abnormally large, pale moon. Stars as bright as diamonds flickered in and out of view all around.

"We're in Hobs Wicket." Kieran said, sounding surprised.

"Hobs Wicket?" I asked, looking towards him.

We were standing in tiny clearing, surrounded by trees, thick dense trees. So thick, you couldn't see what was inside the woodland. I shivered, a chill running up my spine, as if I felt someone watching us.

"They say that Hobs Wicket beholds the centre of Faerie." Mac whispered, as he stared hard between the trees. Hand on Hilt.

Kieran also had his hand on the hilt of his sword. Both men ready to pounce at anything that may come our way.

"That's good. Isn't it?" I asked, sensing uneasiness.

Mac and Kieran both looked about the place, slowly turning as to not miss anything. I ended up in between them and I couldn't help but think they were protecting me.

"It is. But, Hobs Wicket isn't a nice place to be." Mac said.

"How come?" I dared myself to say.

Kieran answered my question, eyes wide and bright. He now drew his own sword.

"Hobs Wicket is the stuff of your own nightmares." He shot a quick look at me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"It plays on your emotions. Creates things you want or don't want to see and then carefully manipulates you, so you would go mad and never return home." Kieran replied.

"Everyone is different. If anything happens right now. We could all see different things." Mac added.

I still didn't get it. "So If I saw a ball, the forest would turn it into something else?"

"If you got close to it. The forest will lead you away. Like the hobby lanterns. It was a defence that the gods and goddess instilled to protect the crystal." Kieran added.

The mention of the crystal made my stomach feel hollow. I should have mentioned it but didn't know how. How could I say, I lost the only thing that would've saved Faerie.

"So don't believe what you see." Mac whispered.