Chapter 8

The weeks flew by and soon more and more packs began being either killed and the women being kidnapped. There was little that the pack could do to protect the others. Taylor wasn't even sure how this Vincent person was destroying so many people at once. The person that I had brutally beaten several weeks before sat in a cell underneath of the house. Taylor had been having discussions with him, and there was no way he could escape, he was still recovering and I was trying to make him as comfortable as possible, but there was little chance we would let him leave. Especially if the human would lead Vincent to them. Taylor felt cold, she was glad for the safety of her younger brothers, but was still very sad for the loss of her other family members. Hopefully the memory would become distant to her brothers. That was all she could hope for.

-12 years later-

Taylor had not appeared to age past the age of 25, but her brothers were looking more dashing than ever, at 18 years old Jack and Bruce had turned out quite well. Both served as a reminder to her every day of her long lost mother and father. Taylor had been up since 5 am and her brothers were supposed to be getting up any minute for school. She had already prepared their lunches and had gone over their homework. It was a habit of hers. She had finished her Masters and had been working full time; she wasn't one for just sitting around and doing nothing. She hated doing nothing. Taylor waited another fifteen minutes before going up stairs to see what her brothers were doing. They were both still sound asleep. She walked back and forth between the rooms that were across the hall from each other. "Bruce! Get up!" She yelled making her brother sit up groggily; Taylor drew the blinds making the early pink/blue light flood into the room. Bruce immediately made his way to the bathroom so he could shower and wake himself up. Taylor walked across the hall and opened the blinds in Jacks room. "Jack," She whispered and then louder said "Jack. Wake up." She said and chuckled as Jack placed his pillow over the back of his head. "Five minutes." She said and went back to Bruce's room and began packing his dirty clothes, which were all over his room, into his laundry basket. She then began pulling the sheets off of his bed and throwing them into the laundry basket.

Taylor repeated this action with Jacks room and then hustled down to the laundry room to begin laundry before she had to leave for work at 9. The grandfather clock chimed signaling that it was 6:30, from the main living room down stairs. "COME ON GUYS! " She yelled walking down the stairs and heading into the kitchen to finish up some things down there. At 6:45 she heard both boys come running down the stairs, while trying to put their shoes on. Taylor smiled and shook her head as they both struggled down the stairs. "Guys you're pushing it." She said handing them their lunches and some granola bars. "Hey, we're going hiking for a few hours after school." Bruce said, Jack just laughed and rushed out the door towards their car. "Make sure you're back by 7:30." She said giving them the evil eye and watched as they rushed out. "AND BE CAREFUL!" She yelled before she heard the door slam shut.

Taylor had been working for the same advertizing firm for more than two years and she had been loving every moment of it. Despite the pressures of her work life, she also was trying to figure out a way that they were going to beat the ongoing threat of Vincent. Taylor had sent a message to the other packs, telling them they were all going to start having regular meetings once a month. This would give the packs a chance to regroup and possible start finding mates for everyone that was left. Taylor looked up from her news paper and smiled as Connor and Andrew came into the kitchen. "Morning." She said standing up and kissing both on the cheek. She felt guilty for keeping these two, but they both refused to give up. Taylor felt bad that her mother's last request was that she have kids. Taylor couldn't avoid it forever and she wasn't getting younger. She needed to decide on a mate. Connor and Andrew were getting ready to leave out on jobs.

"Hey guys, mind if I have a word with you both?" She asked. "I am going to take a mate soon, and it's going to be one of you. I've lived with you both as very close companions and I am still waiting to make my decision. I am going to make it this evening, so just be aware." She said. Both men nodded in unison and then headed out, indeed the news they had just been given was not good news for one of them, and they were going to try and beat each other for her affections in the next twelve hours.

When Taylor finally got to work she was given her messages by the secretary and was also handed some mail. Sitting down in her office she began going through her messages and then saw a letter that looked withered. She opened it carefully and looked at the contents inside. It was a letter, from her father. As she was about to read it a knock came on her office door. She looked up to see a very familiar set of dark brown eyes. His curly hair hung loosely around his face. She loved his hair long. "Daniel." She said, her breath having come out short and airy. "Hello Taylor." He said. If she had been standing up instead of sitting down, she surely would have fallen.

Daniel McNeil was a very good looking man, standing at 5'10" he had long curly hair, which was always down and around his face, his dark brown eyes danced as if they were pulling one into a trance, and he had the body of a caramel god. Taylor had dated him briefly her last year of junior high and her sophomore and junior year of High school. And then, he had moved. Someone had it on good authority that his single mother had found her real mate and had to take her only child, Daniel, with her when they both moved. Daniel's mother was British, and spent at least half a year in Kensington, and only brought Daniel over for the summer months when school was not in session. Thusly he also had a slight accent. "Hello." Taylor breathed. Her heart was thrumming sound hard against her sternum and ribs that she thought her heart were going to fly out of her chest. Her demon whimpered within her, but she ignored it.

Daniel entered the office and closed the door locking it behind him. "I missed you." He said crossing the room and sweeping her off the chair into his arms. Taylor wrapped her arms around the back of his neck and didn't want to let him go out of fear of losing him. "How's the pack?" He asked setting her down gently. "We are striving to stay alive." She said jutting out her jaw slightly. "We were attacked and now there is only a seven of my pack left. My extended family was also wiped out." She finished, but soon found Daniel's lips on her own. Taylor took in his scent while they were lip-locked, he smelt like honey suckle, pine, and dew. She wanted him to be hers again so bad. After what seemed like not enough time they released each other. "I'm here in town for a few days for business and I was hoping for a reason to stay in the place I grew up." He said smiling down at her. "Well-I," Taylor was frantically trying to grasp for words, but couldn't, she just couldn't. "What are you doing here?" Was what came out of her mouth instead, immediately the edges of her ears turned red.

Her question was met with a chuckle. "I work for Ament and Jones." He said. "Oh! I'm doing the advertising for your firm." She said chuckling at her own stupidity for not seeing his name on the contract she'd been given. "Taylor, I want to take you out tonight, if that's okay." He said. Taylor smiled, her breath catching in her throat. "I would very much like that." She said. "But, do you remember where I live?" She asked arching an eye brow and smirking. "All I need to do is sniff you out." He said grabbing her bottom and giving it a light slap. "Oh!" She moaned out and then slapped his hand away. "Let's keep it professional shall we?" She asked sweetly and leaned over her desk, grabbing some papers and files.

She then felt Daniel's body spoon with hers, both bodies melting into one another. "Like old times?" He asked huskily in her ear, his hands on her waist. "No." She said turning and looking at him. As much as it was killing her to resist, his touch and his voice was turning her on. Daniel backed away, feeling rejected. "Daniel, as much as I want you right now, I have to wait." She said. "Always with the rules." He sighed and then kissed her cheek. "Well, if you're a good boy, then who knows what later could bring." She said and then shewed him out of her office. She hadn't felt this way about a guy since Connor, how was she ever going to tell Daniel about the two gorgeous guys she was living with? She had everything planned and the one thing that she hadn't counted on was an old flame, back in her life and burning brighter than ever.