Heat

I wake with a start, ready to fight... hands out in front of me, palms outwards.

For hours on end, I had dreams of sharp teeth, claws, blood... images of myself, not dressed as I have ever been before, leather and plaits, a powerful energy pulsing around me, through my veins. Then it would change. Hands would stroke my skin as a soothing voice crooned in my ear, feather light kisses on my face, my temple, drawing feelings of contentment. Then... beasts would creep in again, tearing at my skin...

I wanted to rise from my slumber and escape the nightmare, but my body wouldn't cooperate.

Now, I'm alone in bed, but there's a warm indent in the mattress next to me that's just as alarming as the nightmares. I'm contemplating my next move when two deep voices echo up the stairwell.

"How long do we need to continue this charade? Surely, the spies can handle the exchange of information." It's the blonde-haired guard with heavy-set eyebrows over ever watchful sea-green eyes. He wasn't in the room when I managed to escape, and I don't think my chances of success would have been so high if he had been.

"I'd prefer to keep my feet on the ground a while longer." That's the dark devil growling. "The northern packs have taken out a key leader, but the council's not mourning her loss. They have a new witch in training who's showing great potential. However, it was who defeated the elder witch that's causing the uproar. There's whisper of a great northern queen rising... Wait. Someone's coming."

I hear footsteps and a new voice, one I've not heard before. I don't like his tone. He sounds like Gerald, condescending and downright creepy...

"Ah... Alessandro. I just... wanted to check on your new priestess. Wondered if you might be caught up in the new wave of assaults and thought someone should check on her... on account of her being so new and untrained, you know. Makes her somewhat vulnerable, not to mention dangerous."

Me? Dangerous?! Assaults? They're fighting some sort of war? Against who?

"You had no need to do that, Bronson. I am more than capable of looking after her. She will not be left unguarded for a minute, I assure you." There's a warning in Alessandro's firm tone, something menacing.

"Right. Very good, then. Well, I have much to do. Gentlemen. Alessandro."

"Bronson."

I can faintly hear the front door shutting. Good. Keep on walking, Bronson, whoever you are. There's enough domineering males around her to deal with.

"How long do you think you can keep her potential a secret...?"

"Stop..." Heavy footsteps ascend the steps. "You're getting very good at listening in, aren't you, sleeping beauty. I trust you're well rested?" He finally rounds the corner, a dark smile playing at the edge of his pale pink lips, midnight eyes gleaming as if they've just been polished.

I glare so sharply he might feel it like shards of broken glass scraping over him.

With an infuriating chuckle, he dismisses my annoyance. "No time for sulking. Your training must begin."

He barely gives me time to shower before he's rushing me into a clean dress. I'm fuming inside, and confused, not to mention totally stressed out!Another ridiculous sheer dress, no shoes. If I weren't so starving... but sadly, I am. My stomach demands I fill it rather than knee him in his toolbox. If I'm to get out of here, I need energy. Starving myself would be childish and self-defeating.