{08}

The Swan sisters, Mary, and Graham stood in the hospital's security office together looking over tapes. Eva stood up next to Graham, their shoulders touched briefly, making his blue eyes shoot to her green ones briefly as they stayed focused on the screen, "You two were the only employees on the floor last night. And you saw nothing" Graham asked as he looked between the two men in the room one the janitor, the other security guard. "Not a thing" Walter the security guy spoke, Eva looked at him with a look of knowing. "You weren't watching like you were supposed to, come on, this is a life or death situation. We don't care what you were doing, we want to know about his safety, that's all" she said as both men looked down.

"We're looking at the wrong tape aren't we. This is the ward where Henry's class put up decorations. If this was really the tape from last night, we'd see the banners the kids hung" Emma said, both men seemed to cave as they both bickered for a minute. "Gentlemen, enough. Where's the real tape?" Graham spoke up as he locked eyes with Eva as she did him and gave him a small smile which he returned. Finally they pulled out the real tape and everyone watched as John Doe walked out of a door, "He walked out alone. He's okay" Mary sighed but there was no true relief. "Yes, he went out alone but, where does that door go? And what state is he in?" Eva said before her sister could speak. "The door leads to the woods, sister" Leroy spoke up, she gave him a smile as a thanks.

***

Eva stuck with Emma, Graham, and Mary as they walked through the woods as it was now getting dark out, suddenly Graham stops, "What is it?" Emma and Eva asked at the same time he looked at them for a moment before looking down at the dirt below him. "The trail runs out here" Graham said as Eva got down to look at it too, she was slowly realizing who he was from Henry's story book; the Huntsman, that's why he knew so much about the forest. "You sure? Because I thought tracking was one of your skills" Emma asked skeptically, her sister looked up and glared. "Just give me a second. This is my world. I got it" he said swiftly before standing up and walking forward Eva looked at her sister before following him up the path.

"Don't stress too much, I have faith we'll find him. I'm sure of it" Eva said, she stood next to him as he sighed. "We hardly get anything like this, in this town. Missing cat or dog, or maybe someone's been peeing on my flowers. But never a missing person" he breathed out, Eva could see the stress on his face she gently took his hands and held them firm making him look at her his blue eyes looked with her green. "You can do this, if you can solve those cases then you can do the same for this one. If anyone can it's you, I don't think you'd be in this field if you weren't qualified" she smiled softly she then leaned up and kissed his cheek before letting go of his hand, "I'm gonna go a head, take this other path and see if maybe he's there along that way. I'll meet back up with you guys at the car or call if I find anything" she said before leaving him with no chance to answer.

***

Eva began her journey, soon she found herself back at the road near the welcome sign to town, she was about to turn back but a sound caught her attention, the sound of whimpering. Her head whipped around and she listened and followed the sound, until she saw it's source there sat a pure white wolf pup with one blue eye and one amber, it stood over a very much dead mother wolf it's cries loud. Tears came to Eva's eyes as she realized that the dead Mother was the wolf her sister had hit during their argument a few nights ago, "I am so sorry, little pup. But your Mom, she's gone and you can't stay out here alone" she whispered as she walked closer.

The pup became silent it looked at her as she looked at it, she got down on the ground and sat down, she opened her purse to see what she had that was worth as food, she then pulled out a bottled water and some beef jerky, "are you thirsty little fella" she whispered as she got close the pup inched closer and kept it's head down as she poured water he began to drink, "there you go" she whisper soon the water was gone the pups tale began to wag as he moved forward yipping with excitement, she opened the beef jerky and held it out he sniffed it before chowing down on it as well. She waited for him to be done, as she looked around and at the mother wolf once more with sadness.

Just then she felt little paws on her lap, the puppy crawled right up on her and curled into a ball, tears ran down her cheeks, "I promise, with everything in me. That I will take care of you little one" she whispered the pup licked her cheek before she wrapped him with her coat and got off the ground trekking her way back to the cars, when she arrived there was an ambulance and John Doe was being taken back to the hospital. "Eva! Thank god! I was worr-" Emma stopped mid step as she saw the little white head of fur poking out of her jacket looking at the commotion. "I found him by the welcome sign, his Mom was hit because of us. He had to have been out there for days" Eva spoke with tears in her eyes again and Emma knew she couldn't tell her sister to take him back, "it's our fault he's an orphan now, can he stay with us please? I promise, I'll get his shots and take care of him" Eva said as her older twin sighed just as Henry and Graham ran up.

"Woah! Is that a wolf puppy?!" Henry exclaimed as he walked over he held out his hand and petted the puppy who started to lick his hand. "Yes it is" she smiled softly as Graham even seemed amazed at the sight. "What's his name?" Henry asked as he looked at the puppy then his Aunt who smiled softly she touched the pups head as he looked up at her with his one blue and one amber eye. "His name is Echo" she responded, the pup licked her hand in approval.