Chapter Thirteen: What A Catch, Donnie

***I know it's been a while since I've updated this story, so here's a quick little summary of what's happened so far:

Charlie and Peter slept together after Charlie's date with Cam, who is Isaac's brother. Charlie has become friends with Scott and Stiles, who've told her that they think one of the Hales is the murderer, so Charlie has been trying to figure out who the real murderer is to clear their names. She posted sticky notes and ribbon on a wall in her room to help her investigation. Now Derek has been arrested for the murders, and Peter has shown up at Charlie's work with Cora and Isaac (who she hasn't met yet) to bring her to the police station where they're holding Derek. 

Enjoy!***

                                             When we arrived at the station, Peter grabbed my hand and dragged me behind him as he rushed past the officers and desks, pushing us through the throng until Derek’s face was visible, behind locked bars in a small cell in the back of the station. Cora and the guy that I didn’t know followed behind us, at a slower pace, and I stifled a gasp when we came upon Derek.

“Why’d you bring Charlie here?” Derek hissed through the bars, sticking his face forward as he glared at Peter. My hands latched onto the bar in front of me automatically, and I crouched down with Peter to lock my concerned gaze onto Derek’s pale, drawn face. I can’t believe they think he’s the murderer. Even though I’d had no proof or reason to believe it wasn’t one of the Hales, and even though Stiles and Scott made compelling arguments against them, I refused to believe that my friends and possibly boyfriend could be mixed up in all of this.

“She needed to know. She can help us,” Peter whispered back, his eyes darkening as an officer passed behind us.

“Only two visitors at a time, if you please,” he growled, looking me over. My eyes bouncing between Derek, Cora, and finally Peter, I decided it was clear that I wasn’t as important of a visitor as his sister was, and I stood up. Hale family only, apparently.

“Call me later,” I said to Peter before I was ushered down the hall and back out into the front of the station by the officer. Whoever Cora’s friend was remained by my side, even when we got outside, and I turned to fully inspect their appearance. It was a pretty tall young guy, probably the same age as Scott and Stiles, with light brown curling hair and really cute blue eyes.

                “What’s your name?”

“Isaac. I’m a friend of Cora’s, and Scott’s. How bout you?”

“I’m Charlie, I’m uh...a friend of Peter’s, I guess. But I’m also friends with Derek and Cora…” I trailed off, trying not to flinch at the painful awkwardness of our situation. He seemed like a nice enough kid, but the worry bubbling up in my intestines about Derek was enough uncomfortability as I could handle at the moment.

“Will you excuse me?” I mumbled with a smile, brushing past Isaac and heading back to the Bar, where I swiftly grabbed my stuff and told Annie I had to go back to the station to wait and hear what the verdict was.

                                      “Of course, take the rest of the afternoon off Charlie. I hope he’s alright,” she assured me as I left, and I strode down to my car with a slight pang of guilt at lying to my compassionate friend and boss. But now that Derek was in jail for these murders, I had to step it up a notch.

***                                                     ***                                                      ***

                                           Peering my head around the corner, I tried as convincingly as possible to look like I wasn’t snooping around as I slid open the unlocked door to the Sheriff’s office and slipped inside. Stiles had told me his dad was the Sheriff of Beacon Hills, but I wasn’t willing to deal with his snarky “You-know-it’s-one-of-the-Hales-right” attitude at the moment. I needed to see everything the police had on the string of murders, and hopefully connect the dots in a way that didn’t spell H-A-L-E.