Chapter 5

I tried my best to not run at the bear and get Sarah to safety. I slowly turned and when the bear was out of sight I quietly ran into the house.

"Sophie! Jake! James!" I called through the house, "Hurry up, it's an emergency!"

I heard three pairs of footsteps rush down the stairs and into the living room.

"What's wrong Emily?" James asked, a little out of breath but not quite.

"It's Sarah! There's a bear out back!" I pointed to the door.

"A BEAR!?" Sophie gasped with a look of terror on her face.

Jake ran upstairs and returned with four long sword like knifes we have had for a while.

Everyone took one and we went outside. I avoided stepping on and breaking brittle twigs that littered the ground as we went to the side of the house. It was a big bear too. An adult male if I had to guess. It had long, yellow, snapping teeth. It's pelt was not in bad shape and could be used as a rug or something IF we were successful.

"Jake, Sophie, go to the other side of the house," James ordered.

The two nodded and ran around the corner. Since when did James order MY siblings around, that was my job! I had not time to argue with myself about this, Sarah needed help.

"It is going to attack any second now", James whispered in my ear and inched forward.

I held my knife at the ready. I caught Jake's eyes on the other side of the house and nodded to him. He nodded back then him and Sophie held up their long knives and stabbed the bear. Me and James bolted forward.

"Sarah! Get inside!" I yelled to her over the bear's roar of anger and distress.

Sarah met my gaze wit fear in her eyes. She turned and bolted to the front of the house. James was already helping Jake and Sophie fight. I rushed in and help control it.

"Should we try and drive it back in the forest?" Sophie yelled to me.

"It will just keep coming back if it's starving and has no choice, I think we have to kill it", Jake shouted back.

I hated to have to agree with him, but Jake was right. The bear would only return to stock up on food before hibernation. Snow was on the way. I could feel it in the cold air. Then, i saw one.  a little white snowflake drift to the ground. I heard a roar and then snapped back to reality. I had lost focus. Even though it was for only a second, that is enough time to get you killed.

"Emily! Watch out!" James's shout warned and then i felt long claws slash at my arms and i was thrown back.

I looked at me arm, i saw a long scratch mark from where the bear's claws had impacted the skin. I gripped my arm, the wound was on m upper arm and hurt like heck! I squinted my eyes and took in a deep breath. I heard a really loud roar then it stopped. I heard a thump  and then Sophie, James, and Jake ran to my side.

"Emily! Emily!" I felt James struggling to help me up off the ground.

I moaned in response and blinked open my eyes that desperately wanted to close and never open again.

"We have to get her inside!" James said with fear controlling his voice.

I only saw Jake helping James pick me up and Sophie, frozen in fear.

"Sophie! Snap out of it!" Jake shook her shoulders.

I heard Sophie gasp and she gave a sob.

"Crying won't help", Jake said calmly.