Chapter 19

So, italics is both Amy's memories and transmissions. I hope that's not too confusing! Normal text is "real life" with Sophie and Fitz.

The Fosters were sitting on the couch in their living room, the TV gently glowing. Amy sat next to the family dog, who kept barking and interrupting the TV show.

Sophie felt a pang in her chest at how normal the scene felt.

Her parents told Amy to take the dog into the backyard so they could watch in peace. Amy grudgingly agreed, grabbing the collar and dragging her pet through the back door. After she locked the door of the pen, she turned to go back inside. As she was turning, she thought she saw a figure across the street. She blinked and it was gone.

Sophie gasped and squeezed Fitz's hand. He squeezed back reassuringly.

Amy returned to the couch next to her parents to keep watching the show. Amy thought she heard the door quietly click open. She glanced at her parents, but it seemed as though they hadn't heard anything. She swore she heard a footstep, and she reached for the remote to turn the volume down. Her parents asked her what was wrong, but they froze when they heard a muffled voice.

Her father reached for a candlestick off the mantle, refusing to feel helpless in his own house, while Amy and her mother scrambled to hide. Amy hid in the closet while her mother headed in the direction of her bedroom. Amy peeked through the keyhole.

Suddenly, her father was hit from behind by an invisible force.

A tear found its way down Sophie's cheek as she watched her father crumple to the ground. Fitz clenched his jaw. Sophie knew it was hard for him to watch his brother attack people, but he was being strong for her. His thumb rubbed her hand, comforting her as the scene unfolded before their eyes.

Ruy stepped from the shadows, spreading a force field over her father's unmoving form. Amy heard another figure say, "I'm searching for thoughts. I know there are more hiding here."

Amy let her mind go blank, and much of the memory was faded and dull. She had stepped back from the keyhole, so there wasn't much visual to the memory, but she faintly heard four more words as the kidnappers left with her parents.

"Take them to Nightfall."

With that, her parents were gone.

Sophie scrambled away from her sister's unconscious form in the bed, feeling faint. Fitz wrapped his arms around her. Hey, hey. It's gonna be okay.

How? she asked hopelessly.

We can identify the kidnappers. And with Grady back and the Council on our side, we can find them. It's going to be fine. Everything will be okay.

Sophie bit her lip in a futile attempt to keep back her tears. She rested her head against Fitz's chest, feeling utterly helpless. He kissed the top of her head.

The Collective and Physic held back, letting the couple have a moment to recover before they asked any questions.

Yay! Okay, see you tomorrow!! I'm going to make lemon squares now!!!! :D