Chapter 18

Omg!!!!!! This got to 1K reads!!!!! Thank you guys so much for reading this and voting and commenting!!!! I don't really mention this because I feel like it's kinda weird, but I really do appreciate it. Tysm!!!!!!!!! <3

Juline looked at Amy and said, "We have been waiting for you to get settled into the Lost Cities, but we can no longer put off what needs to be done. We need to probe you."

"Probe me? What does that mean?" Amy asked, her voice full of anxiety.

"We just need to see your memories of the kidnapping."

"It's not as weird as it sounds," Sophie assured her. She turned to Juline. "Would I be the one probing her?"

"You are definitely the most qualified, but we didn't want to overwhelm you. Fitz would be with you, of course." Here Amy raised an eyebrow. Sophie blushed as she heard her sister's thoughts. "Fitz is my Cognate, so he can help me with telepathic stuff," Sophie explained, glaring at her sister.

"Sophie, if you feel up to it, you would be the one to probe her. We can get Fitz and explain the plan to him. If you feel that it would be too hard to witness this... experience first hand, I'm sure Tiergan or Alden would be happy to do it."

Sophie didn't want to watch her parents being kidnapped. But she didn't want Amy to have to go through the experience alone, and she couldn't imagine anyone else doing it instead. "Okay, I'll do it."

Juline smiled. "I know this is really hard for you both, but you're both very strong. Sophie, why don't you get Fitz and I'll take Amy to the dining room, where we'll all meet?"

Sophie agreed. She poked her head through the door. Tam and Biana were chatting in the corner, and the other three were talking where the circle had been for Truth or Dare. Linh had moved to sit next to Fitz, and she playfully hit his arm. Sophie felt a pang of jealousy in her stomach and her tone was harsher than she meant it to be when she said, "Fitz can I talk to you?"

Fitz followed her outside, the concern clear on his face. "Soph, is something wrong?" he asked, reaching for her hand. Their Cognate rings snapped together.

"Not really. We're going to probe Amy to see her memories about the kidnapping," she replied, her voice cracking on the last word.

Fitz wrapped his arm around her shoulders. "I'll be here for you," he whispered into her hair. She nodded, taking a moment to sink into him before they both went downstairs to the dining room.

Juline, Tiergan, Blur, Wraith, Della, Physic, and Amy were already sitting around the table. Tiergan stood up, saying, "Amy should be lying down. Don't worry, we just have to sedate you. The process of probing can be disturbing if you are conscious."

Della led the group to a guest bedroom, and Amy lay down. Physic pulled a vial out of her satchel and handed it to Amy. Amy bravely downed the elixir and was knocked out within seconds. Fitz grabbed Sophie's hand, transmitting You can do this.

She steeled her nerves before pressing her fingers against Amy's right temple at the same time that Fitz pressed his against her left temple. They pushed their consciousnesses into her mind.

Again, thank you guys so much!!!!!!! Okay, see you on Saturday!!