chapter 1/ the disguise

Twenty-one Pilots- car radio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I like being single. I'm always there when I need me," 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I glared at Landen as he held the blonde dye in his hands. "It's the only way, Arden," he smirked and I glared. 

"You and I both know that is not true," I accused.

After our rant, Landen decided I should have a 'makeover' to help conceal my identity. Apparently, it was illegal in the states to not go to school. Who made these rules anyway? He said it was a normal for a girl my age to go to school.

And who said running from the mob wasn't?

Landen shrugged and I groaned, sitting down. "Fine," I spat out with all the dignity I had left. He smirked and went on with my hair.

It took 5 hours for Landen to finish. 5 long hard hours of hair being pulled and tears falling. And I was finally done. "Ready?" Landen asked as he held the mirror in his hand. I nodded and he sighed, passing me the mirror.

I gasped as I looked at my reflection. I had long, straight blonde hair with darker blonde strands running through it so it looked natural. Instead of my light chocolate brown eyes, I had icy blue contacts. I had pale skin and thick-rimmed glasses. I was wearing long skinny jeans and a black tee with battered converse.

"I look-" I started.

"Brilliant!" Landen cut in.

"Different," I finished and turned to face Landen who was smirking at me.

"I can't even tell the difference," he laughed and I glared.

"Just because I look like a nerd doesn't mean I am going to act like one," I told him. He stopped laughing and his eyes held amusement.

"I'm a soldier, not god" he simply told me and I rolled my eyes. I sat up from the chair and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Such a gentlemen," I mumbled and walked towards my old room. I heard deep fits of laughter behind me as I opened the door. I gasped.

Everything was the same.

My books were still in alphabetical order on my small bookshelf. My bed was still messed up from the last time I slept here. I still had the same colour walls and floor, Black and Grey. My desk was still in the hidden corner next to the window so I could drool over my old neighbour, James Oller. I was in middle school people! 

I sighed and set my duffle bag on the floor. I kneeled down and grabbed my computer and sat down at my desk. I put the computer on the desk and turned it on. "Is there a high school nearby!" I called to Landen. 

I typed in google and waited for Landen's response. "Yeah!" he called. I waited a few seconds before rolling my eyes.

"What's it called?!" I asked annoyed. 

"Oh, Hilton Ville High school!" he yelled. I typed the school in and went to the school's website. I hacked into the school's database and put me as a new student. 

"Can I put you as an emergency contact!" I yelled. I heard footsteps as Landen appeared. He leaned on my door frame with a bag of Doritos in his hand. His hair was ruffled as he chewed on a Dorito. 

"Sure," he told me with his mouth full. I scrunched my nose in disgust but went back to hacking. After finishing I sat up and looked at Landen who was stuffing his face with Doritos. 

"It's hard to believe that you are an adult," I finished and Landen glared, walking out. I followed close behind him as he entered the kitchen to grab another bag of Doritos. I looked around my apartment before turning to Landen.

"I'm going to bed," I told him. He nodded as I walked towards my room. Once I was in my room, I stripped my clothes and put on some pyjamas. I walked towards my unmade bed and laid down, pulling the sheets up to my face. 

Before I knew it, I was asleep. 

/////////////////////

Ring......

Ring......

Ring.....

I opened one eye and groaned as the morning sunshine made its way to my eye. I sat up and looked around while licking the bottom of my lip. I looked at the clock and groaned. I only had 15min to get ready for my first day of school. 

I tiredly walked to my dresser and picked out grey sweats with a plain white tee and white converse. I looked in the mirror and put my hair up in a high ponytail. I put my thick-rimmed glasses on and walked out to see Landen pouring himself a cup of coffee. 

"Where are you going?" I asked curiously as I sat down on a bench near the island. I noticed he was wearing a baby blue buttoned up shirt that was Rolled up to his elbows with black pants suit, and he had his hair gelled up. 

"Work," he simply told me and grabbed an apple, bitting into it. 

"I forgot to ask, what is your occupation?" I asked. He smirked and leaned against the counter. 

"I'm a teacher," he told me as a matter of factly. I snorted and shook my head as I grabbed a coffee cup. 

"Sure," I told him and he glared. My eyes widened as I noticed he was serious. 

"At your school," he mumbled. My eyes almost popped out of its socket as I looked at him, wide-eyed. 

"What!?" I exclaimed. 

"I didn't know you were coming here, plus I started a year ago," he told me and sipped his coffee.

"I need to change schools," I whispered as I tried to think of another school nearby. He shook his head and walked towards the door. 

"Too late," he told me and grabbed his car keys that laid on the table next to the door. He opened the door and looked at me. I grumbled and grabbed my backpack, walking out.  

"How does a 24-year-old play call of duty and be a teacher at the same time?" I mumbled. 

Please hit that orange star and make my day \/BRIGHTER\/