Part 8

I got back to the beaming room as soon as possible as it was my duty to ensure the safety of the captain. Or at least the acting captain anyway. Apparently the Romulans and the bastard Nero drilled the hole all the way core so they could send some sort of advanced weaponry straight to it. Some sort of terrible weapon that created a black hole at the very center of Vulcan. Where on earth they got such weaponry was beyond me.

Spock had beamed down to the surface supposedly to Save his parents. A worthy cause but it might end up killing him. I watched him over the shoulder of the two human lieutenants working in the transport beaming room. One of which was the young Pavel Chekov. They had Spock's location displayed on the monitor and he just excited a large cavern that must have been where his parents had been hiding. Some sort of bunker or something. Their signals were all marked by little yellow dots on the monitor and Spock's was a blue dot.

" Phew we got them" I sighed as Chekhov began to work the controls. "Please remain still as I lock onto your locations" Chekhov ordered and I watched anxiously. Suddenly one of the little yellow dots disappeared. " NO! I'm losing her!" Chekov exclaimed and rapidly pressed the controls as he tried desperately to re locate her. Her? That was Spock's mother!

But it was too late. Spock and the four other Vulcans appeared on the beaming pad in a mirage of golden lights. Spock was fixated in a sight of of horror with his hand outstretched. " I've lost her..." Chekhov said in a defeated tone. The entire room went silent as we all looked at Spock.

He retained his composure and stood back up straight. Returning to his typical serious and rigid posture that I was all too familiar with. What the.... if I were him I would be losing it right now. If my mom just died. But as he stepped off the pad I could see it in his eyes. He was hurting. There was a sorrow in those brown orbs. A sadness....

He looked at Chekov as the ship now pulled away from Vulcan and escaped from the black hole " Acting Captain's log. Stardate 2256.42: I have assumed command of the Enterprise" Spock announced.

He then walked right through the transport room and to the elevator. His eyes just flickered to me for the shortest second as he approached the elevator. I didn't even think before I rushed towards the elevator and just managed to enter through the closing elevator doors. I don't know what drove me to try and comfort him but I guess it was my human empathy that was coming out. He looked at me blankly, however there was emotion behind his eyes. He was trying so hard to conceal it. I reached out and pressed a button on the elevator pad that stopped it.

He looked lost. I looked at him as I could almost feel the saddens radiating off of him. I put one of my hands on his shoulder and met his eyes that were full of despair. " Spock I-I know we haven't exactly gotten along" I began and he didn't react. " B-but I'm sorry.... I'm so sorry..." I said as my voice lowered to something of a whisper. Then I wrapped my arm around his firm torso and hugged him. I didn't expect him to hug back but he was hurt. I was no nurse and the there was no cure for grief. You could only comfort those in such a pain as that.

" I'm sorry" I whispered and felt a single tear go down my cheek. Strangely enough I suddenly felt arms embracing me. Spock was hugging me back and his head rested on my shoulder. It was a quiet moment of tranquil peace as I comforted the hurt man. A moment I never would have thought I would have shared with Spock of all people. But here I was hugging him.

I sniffed before releasing him and quickly wiped away the tear away. I looked back up at him but he wouldn't meet my eyes. He reached over and pressed a button to restart the elevator. He swallowed " Thank you" He replied softly and I nodded unable to think of anything to say. He returned to his serious posture as the elevator stopped at the bridge. He excited but I didn't follow.