Chapter 44

If I thought Damien was going to leave me alone, I thought wrong. Oh, so wrong. 

He comes banging at my door only minutes later I ran away from him at the parking lot. 

Damien comes banging at my front door. "Brooke! You can't run away like that. You're upset. Open up, please." I can clearly hear the frustration and desperation in his voice, probably thinking I won't open the door for him.

I'm wiping my face, although the tears won't stop falling from my eyes, making it wet. I don't even know why I'm crying, I just have so many feelings swimming inside of me right now. 

"Brooke! Come on, you can't hide from me forever. I won't stop coming after you," Damien says. It sounds like a threat and I know he's dead serious. 

"Why the hell don't you give up?" I yell out in pain, swallowing a sob. 

"Because I can't fucking let you go!" Damien bellows. I hear a loud thud on the door as if Damien punched it. 

"You had no problem leaving three years ago!" I throw it back into his face. I don't know if there will ever come a day that I won't be bitter about him leaving me without a word.

"You think that? You really think that? It was you or my mother, Brooke, I had to make a choice! But I think you were actually waiting for me to fuck it up and do you wrong so you could forever hold it against me, huh?" 

I turn to face the door, putting my palm on it. I can feel him out there. I can almost feel the warmth of his palm pressed against mine. Why can't this be any easier? Why is there not any sign to show me what is the right thing to do? 

I'm questioning myself if I should forgive Damien and move on and try to do something with him or if I should be careful around him, walking on tiptoes and forever hate him for what he did to me. 

"Brooke, baby, come on. Let's talk this out and figure out things together."

Damn it. Damn him, he makes me so weak. 

I lean my forehead against the door and I exhale. And then I turn the key in the lock. Damien opens the door so fast that it almost throws me back. 

I stumble back a few feet. 

Damien is in front of me in a second, my face in his palms, his touch warm and soothing, his eyes holding so much warmth for me. It disarms me. I'm naked in front of him; mentally. My soul is bared. I can't fight it anymore, it's too exhausting. I also can't be afraid. He's too much for me and he knows it. He's my weakness.

"Don't do this, Brooke. Don't hide from me every time we stumble onto a problem. And especially don't go away from me when you're mad and hurt and lock yourself in your flat."

I put my hands on Damien's forearms, wanting to remove his hands from my face at first because his touch is burning my skin, but when I wrap my hands around the material of his clothes, I just rest them there. I'm hungry for his touches, hungry for his looks, his voice ... I'm a starving woman.

"You can't keep doing this, Damien. Please ... Either you walk away and leave me alone or don't ever go away again," I tell him brokenly. It's so hard to breathe when he's close to me, I just forget that the oxygen is what keeps me alive. Right now, it feels like the only thing keeping me alive is him fighting to come back into my life.

One side of Damien's lips curves upwards, his eyes shining with the recognition I'm caving and he has me where he wanted to. "I choose the second option, Brooke. I already told you, you were just too focused on holding a grudge towards me to see how serious I mean it."