Chapter 11

Present Day

"You're kidding, right? That couldn't have happened. Please tell me that didn't really happen!" It was just too unbelievable. How could Gigi have slapped me in the face? Is it even humanly possible for me to smack lips with Steve when he's twice my size?

"I'm afraid so," Cheryl sighs.

This is so embarrassing!

"But how would you know if that thing with Gigi ever happened and if I thought about it at that moment?" I ask questionably.

"We read your diary, remember?" Cheryl answers. Oh yeah, that's right. "I just used my imagination to help fill in the rest of the gaps."

"Okay, so what happened next?"

"Well, apparently you can't swim, so that just made it even more embarrassing for you."

"Wow, thanks, Ezra," I remark bitterly.

"But don't fret, Cheryl jumped back in the water to save you so that was good. At least you didn't die. We thought you'd favor your life over your reputation." Ezra shrugs.

Yeah, no. At this moment, death was tasting much sweeter.

"After that," Cheryl continues, "we put you in Ezra's car, asked for your keys and your home address, and took you home. But something . . . weird happened. We were at your door and trying to unlock it, you know, preoccupied on trying to find the right key, and when we opened the door and turned around, you were gone."

"Gone?" I question.

"Poof!" Cheryl flicks her fingers into the air. "As if you'd vanished into thin air."

"Where did I go?"

"We have no idea," Ezra puts in. My eyes bulge open at his response. "I mean, obviously you're okay because you're here now. And you were only gone for one . . . two . . . maybe three hours."

"So you guys are telling me that none of us, including me, have no idea where I've been for three hours of my entire life!" I scream. My heart is racing in my chest. Partly from anger, but mostly from fear. Where had I been? What had I been doing? I don't know and that's so scary.

"We tried looking for you, but we just couldn't find you," Cheryl defends. "We figured it was best to just stay at your apartment until you came back. And it worked!"

I can only glare her down in an attempt to wipe that perky smile off her face, but then I was drawn back down to her bare body and had to look away. Darn females! They make it so hard to stand up for yourself.

"When you came back you were a bit disoriented," Ezra explains. "You seemed drunk but you didn't smell like liquor. You started pulling off your clothes because you were complaining you were hot, and you kept talking about Gigi and how much you loved her. You're phone rang, you said, and I quote, 'Gigi,' and you locked yourself up in your room."

"So, you guys let me get drugged?" My tone is so low, so menacing, so sadistic that I even scared myself. Cheryl's and Ezra's eyes bulge right open, as if though they were a deer caught in headlights.

Ezra looks down at the imaginary watch around his wrist. "Would you look at the time! I think it's time for us to go. Come on Cheryl."

"Yes, yes, time is running late. Time for us to go." Cheryl chirps as they both quickly make a beeline for the door.

"Wait! I'm not done talking to you!" I scream as I quickly try to catch up, but they just keep going. "You're not even wearing any clothes!"

When they open the door, it's me who suddenly becomes the deer. My mom stands there with grocery bags in one hand and her knuckles clenched ready to knock on the door with the other. She looks at Cheryl, then Ezra, then me. And let me tell you, the mama look is terrifying.