Chapter 3

I decide to go for my thinnest jacket so that I can blend in with Steve and his gang. You know, look cool. Only, the moment I step outside of my apartment I end up regretting it. I kid not when I say that it was probably 20 degrees outside right now. Even inside the car I feel like a big baphoon trembling in the back seat as the cold air whips my skin.

How were these guys at all okay with driving with the windows down in the beginning of January? We've literally just delved into the heart of the winter season and these guys were barely even wearing a jacket. I knew I should've put more layers on.

We eventually pull up in front of the Kappa House. By then my chattering teeth caused an ache in my jaw and the cold probably gave me hypothermia, but other than that, I'm good. The lights are all out which leads me to believe that they must have all fallen asleep. It makes sense. Sane people would be asleep this early in the morning instead of taking a ride with a bunch of jocks to teepee a house.

"You remember the plan?" Steve asks as he turns to me.

I do but it's an incredibly stupid plan. Point blank, I doubt I was making it out alive. But I had to do it for the ticket. I had to do it for Gigi.

"Yes. I climb through one of the windows so that I can open the door for you. You guys do the honors while I keep guard." I reply, the idea sounding sillier when I said it out loud. There really was no way that I was going to come out of this alive. "Remind me, why am I the one who has to climb through a window?"

"Because you're the only one small enough to actually fit." Mike answers.

Of course. My size was letting me down once again.

"Great. Now that we've got that covered," he smiles, one of those sadistic smiles as if though it had something else in mind. But the difference was so small that I decide to push the thought out of my head. He reaches for a roll of duct tape and passes it to me. "take this. You never know when a girl will wake up and you'll have to tie them up."

Of course I wasn't going to do that, but I took it with me anyway. Duct tape did tend to be useful, even in the most unlikely situations.

With one deep breath, I jump out of the car. My heart is beating against my chest so hard that I could've sworn that it was actually leaving bruises. Standing up right next to the house actually made it seem bigger . . . much bigger. Was this a house or a mansion? I literally couldn't tell the difference.

I sneakily run across the grass in my dark outfit. I was surprised to find no snow, but the greenery was, in fact, damp. The caretaker of the house must be really good at their job, they were even able to get rid of all the snow.

Once I reach the house, I quickly push my back against the wall. Steve had kindly pointed out that there were security cameras set up around the house. He wouldn't say where, and despite my bad vision, I was able to point out a few of the key areas. I noticed they were all along the corners of the house. The building surprisingly had no gate closed around it, but they managed to stick one into a nearby tree. As long as I stayed with my back against the wall and away from the vision of the cameras that circled the corners of the house, there was a good chance that I wouldn't be seen.

I scoot against the surface of the wall as I near a window. Once I get to it, I find that it's impossible to open. It was bolted from the inside, and so is every other window on the first floor.

I quickly turn towards the camera on the tree. When I see that it's not facing in my direction, I quickly run back in order to get a better view of the house. And I see it. One open window. Only, it was two stories higher than where I stand right now.